MHX High Modulus Blanks

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: MHX High Modulus Blanks

Post by RGMatt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:20 am

cjtoad wrote:I got a HM-SJ782-MHX in the mail this morning. Blank is super light and I can't barely find the backbone. I plan on making a finesse baitcast rod out of it. I'll have it finished monday morning and I'll post some pics.
Can't wait to hear your impressions on this blank. I was looking at that exact model for another BC rod too. I have the original MHX SJ781 built as a caster and it sees alot of use for small jerks and reaction baits, small poppers.
Ryan808 wrote:I fish it the other day for a few casts and wasnt all that impressed. Its a good blank dont get me wrong, but after a catching a few fish I put it down and fished the rest of the day with my St Croix. Its a very light blank with good backbone, but the sensitivity was there for me. Ill try again this weekend and see if I get a different opion on the blank.
What Croix were you comparing it to? I built a SC5 S66MLF casting rod this winter. When I fish this rod side by side w/ the original MHX SJ781 w/ small jerks I thought the mhx transmitted every little wobble,roll and vibe of these jerks MUCH better than the St croix. I was very dissapointed in these results as the croix was built lighter, w/ spiraled ti framed guides, and cost 3 times the price for the blank. The mhx was a budget build and cost me around $100 bucks w/ regular SS alconite guides. The Croix does load nicer, feels very crisp, and casts better though.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:43 am

Rod looks great. I made it with EVA grips, ECSM reel seat, and sprial wrapped ringlock mircos. I haven't got on the water with it, but I've got a long weekend coming up and I plan on using it a lot. I'll post a weight tonight. Balance point is right on the front of the reel seat. It's very fast with a pretty stiff backbone, so it should work out great for flick shakes, huddlebugs and some baby Griffons. My Ito Alphas feels right at home on it.
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (78.84 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (49.16 KiB) Viewed 5840 times

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:25 am

Does the blank ahve the same slate finish as the regular MHX series?
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:41 am

Looks the same to me.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:59 am

They are more gray than the standard series.

I have an 844 that I'm building to be as bare bones and lightweight as possible. I'm expecting under 3.5 ounces which is pretty light for a 7' heavy in my book. It won't be pretty but it's cheap and should perform good.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:24 am

keep us posted on these guys.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

I just put the finished rod, reel, line, and huddlebug on a scale at work and the total weight was .65lbs (I tried three different scale, because that seemed awful light.) Rod alone was .22lbs. I also stopped by a little pond going to work to make a few cast. The rod cast wonderfully, I didn't have any problem reaching out 40 or 45 feet (just starting out with this reel think I can do better) with a huddlebug. I happen to catch two pickerel both about 1.5lbs. The blank loads really well and has a lot more power than I would have expected out of a 2 power. I should get a lot of time on the water with it this weekend, I'll update you guys then.

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:36 pm

What Croix were you comparing it to? I built a SC5 S66MLF casting rod this winter. When I fish this rod side by side w/ the original MHX SJ781 w/ small jerks I thought the mhx transmitted every little wobble,roll and vibe of these jerks MUCH better than the St croix. I was very dissapointed in these results as the croix was built lighter, w/ spiraled ti framed guides, and cost 3 times the price for the blank. The mhx was a budget build and cost me around $100 bucks w/ regular SS alconite guides. The Croix does load nicer, feels very crisp, and casts better though.[/quote]

The last sentence sums it up.....

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:53 am

Thought I'd throw an update on my project out there. I still haven't installed a "butt plug" yet because honestly I'm not certain what I'm going to use yet. Anyway the hm-mhx844 I did weigh's 3.1oz. Not to shabby. It is about as stripped down as you can get. It's my bass ninja rod.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm liking the HM-SJ782-MHX I built on last week. I just got 6 days on the water and fished with it a lot. Caught a couple of dozen fish on it, nothing bigger than 4lbs (one smallie close to 4) and it fished wonderfully. It's fishes more like a Xfast to me and has a very stiff butt section, but I had no problems at all throwing a 1/16oz flick shake with a 5" power wacky crawler on it. I think it makes a really good finesse baitcast blank, good for tubes, small worms, drop shot and some small cranks or jerkbaits.

srw
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by srw » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:19 pm

Cjtoad,

Thanks for the review. How is the rod as far as sensitivity? Is it comparable to any other blanks or rods you have fished?

thanks,

srw

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Very good, I felt it everytime a bluegill stole my flickshake worm. At one point in the weekend my buddy and I caught 30 or so crawdads and I threw them on that rod instead of spinning tackle. I could feel everything they were doing, everytime a fish got near them I could feel them start kickin. Honestly I do know what to compare it to, I haven't use a production rod in a long time and most of my rod are MHX or DHX (I'm huge fan of the USA Graphite DHX blanks.) I think the HMHX blank are in line with the DHX in sensitivity and are a little better then the normal MHXs. I think I'll have to build a new jig rod so I can have a better side by side comparison :lol: :lol: man I've got a problem.