Rogue blanks?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rogue blanks?

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sun May 29, 2011 3:56 pm

I don't hear much about Rogues. Of course being in SE Texas that is not a surprise since I think "west coast" when I think Rogue. But man I have or have had some customs in MBH705, MB664, TF's, etc... "imported" to TX and the blanks are very nice and overall darn good IMO (disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Rogue in any way). I have yet to break one even after some pretty heavy wear and tear. Anyone else building on them?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Rogue blanks?

Post by Mattman » Mon May 30, 2011 11:57 pm

They're good blanks.

In my measurements I get similar numbers to what the GL3 or Avid would produce. So, nothing earth shattering, but no slouch either.

Quality is very good.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Alex D
Angler
Angler

Post by Alex D » Tue May 31, 2011 5:45 am

I haven't built on a Rogue in over a year now but the quality used to be very good. I had a very low breakage rate as they use 33 - 36M graphite and a good scrim. They are pretty durable. built over 200 of the blanks so I am pretty familiar with them.

Sadly they had some changes and lost their top 3 blank customers. Now they have cut some of the best blanks, including all the 7'11"s from the line up.

I'm not sure where things stand now, but honestly I feel they have fallen a bit behind the ball and the value has dropped dramatically. No new development, shrinking product offering, reduction of warranty policy, reduced customer service, and pricing that makes them a little less competitive.
Hydra Fishing, LLC ::: ALX Rods

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Tue May 31, 2011 4:56 pm

Very nice sticks-I agree with otter (alot like a GL3) and that aint bad.I am a huge fan of the mb704,the mbh 704,the BB796 is a killer blank also.I am just a little dissapointed,the last batch i ordered had a crummy blank that i had to wrap thread completely in between the split grip.And I must say the bb796 is getting way too exspensive.

Alex D
Angler
Angler

Post by Alex D » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:25 am

It appears now that the company has been sold. No other info available.
Hydra Fishing, LLC ::: ALX Rods