Blank issue

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
centurion
Angler
Angler

Blank issue

Post by centurion » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Good morning, I have a problem with a blank that I just purchased and need some advice from more expert rodbuilders.

The blank I ordered is 7 foot long (213.36 centimeters) but when I mesured it at home it is 212 cm (0.39 inch less). Is that a manufacturing fail or thats not a problem?

Also the blank has a little marks just in the tip and I'm afraid that they could grow up, but I'll post a photo later in order to be more clear what I'm trying to explain.

I hope you can claify to me this problems, if they are problems, of course.

Thank you in advance.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Blank issue

Post by Mattman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:46 pm

centurion wrote: The blank I ordered is 7 foot long (213.36 centimeters) but when I mesured it at home it is 212 cm (0.39 inch less). Is that a manufacturing fail or thats not a problem?
Common.

Most that build their own rods and sell blanks, have their blanks shorter than listed. The finished rod winds up being the length, not the blank. By the time the tip top is put on and the very butt of the rod it has grown to the length listed.

centurion wrote: Also the blank has a little marks just in the tip and I'm afraid that they could grow up, but I'll post a photo later in order to be more clear what I'm trying to explain.
Without seeing, its tough to say for sure. But I'd be willing to bet that what you are seeing is the remnants of the ridges of resin. Its fairly common to see places where they didn't sand all the way thru the ridges.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

centurion
Angler
Angler

Post by centurion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:01 am

Thank you for your kindly help. Please, take a special look at the 3rd & 4th photo.

The tip it's a 5.5 (just for info if you need to compare lenghts of the marks)

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:20 am

those marks at the tip shouldnt cause a problem. Those often occur when a blank is trimmed. The blank does not see any stress there because it is fully covered by the tip top (assuming you are using a traditional tip top and not wrapping a small guide at the tip for a tip top)

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:35 am

Absolutely nothing to worry about
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

centurion
Angler
Angler

Post by centurion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:03 am

Thank you friends. Your comments are very helpful!!

LamiglasC
Angler
Angler

Post by LamiglasC » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:45 am

My Lamiglas glass cranking stick has the same marks on it from being in the back of someones barn that i was hunting in and what did in know i found an original lamiglas fiberglass rod! made in Washington. nothing to worry about i had it custom built and have fished it for 2 months and no issues.....