St. Croix blank for spinnerbaits.

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

St. Croix blank for spinnerbaits.

Post by SteveDB » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:18 am

Looking at having a custom spinnerbait rod made so I can get what I want. The xc70mf that I`m currently using doesn`t cut it for wrestling big fish out of grass. It also IMHO maxed out with a 1/2 oz. blade. The xc70mhc is a bit too heavy and is not as forgiving. I had a suggestion from a local guy that builds rods for himself to build one on a SCV 70mhs, a spinning rod blank that he said should put it right between the xc70mf and the xc70mhc. Any thoughts? Would also give me the ability to go up to a 3/4 oz. SB which I use on occasion. I realize some may say why build a spinnerbait rod with a SCV, but I love the Xtreme rods and have been fine with the performance of the 70mf except when the big one hits. Any suggestions appreciated.

Drewbass
Angler
Angler

Re: St. Croix blank for spinnerbaits.

Post by Drewbass » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Do you mean too heavy or powerful? I have a 5C70MHF that I use for jigs, but felt it was too fast for spinnerbaits and ended up with a NFC 709.
SteveDB wrote:The xc70mhc is a bit too heavy and is not as forgiving.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:19 pm

5C76MHMF

does a great job of launching big spinnerbaits and handling big SMB!

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:16 am

Drewbass wrote:Do you mean too heavy or powerful? I have a 5C70MHF that I use for jigs, but felt it was too fast for spinnerbaits and ended up with a NFC 709.
SteveDB wrote:The xc70mhc is a bit too heavy and is not as forgiving.
Powerful.
jimmyb wrote:5C76MHMF

does a great job of launching big spinnerbaits and handling big SMB!
I actually have the 76mhmf. Wanting a seven footer. A 70mhmf is probaly what I need. Too bad they don`t make one.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 am

it is really easy to shorten a blank!!!!

Drewbass
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewbass » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:01 am

If you shorten a 7'6" MF blank 6" how much will it change the action? I started to search for a 7'+F to shorten thinking that it would net a slower action, maybe go from F to MF.

jimmyb wrote:it is really easy to shorten a blank!!!!

RStien321
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RStien321 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 am

Drewbass wrote:If you shorten a 7'6" MF blank 6" how much will it change the action? I started to search for a 7'+F to shorten thinking that it would net a slower action, maybe go from F to MF.
Typically you shorten blanks by cutting off from the rear, thus the action would be preserved. You could trim the tip, but there's no reason to do so if the blank already has the action you desire.

Drewbass
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewbass » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:42 pm

I believe if you lengthen or shorten the butt end it will change the action. If a 6'6" fast action blank was extended to 7'6" by adding an extension to the butt end it would become a faster blank, maybe it would be an extra fast. I can't remember how the speed of a blank is defined. I guess my question was if a 5C76MHMF was shortened from the butt end would it become too slow.
RStien321 wrote:
Drewbass wrote:If you shorten a 7'6" MF blank 6" how much will it change the action? I started to search for a 7'+F to shorten thinking that it would net a slower action, maybe go from F to MF.
Typically you shorten blanks by cutting off from the rear, thus the action would be preserved. You could trim the tip, but there's no reason to do so if the blank already has the action you desire.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 am

the 5C76MHMF actually measures fairly fast. 6" off would slow it down some, but it really wouldnt make it "too slow" IMO

why does the rod have to 7? you could pick an inbetween like 7'2" or cheat a bit on handle length (depending on your preferences). I built a few rods off the new 7'2" blanks and i honestly cannot feel the difference of 2" from the 7' equivalent

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:13 am

jimmyb wrote:the 5C76MHMF actually measures fairly fast. 6" off would slow it down some, but it really wouldnt make it "too slow" IMO

why does the rod have to 7? you could pick an inbetween like 7'2" or cheat a bit on handle length (depending on your preferences). I built a few rods off the new 7'2" blanks and i honestly cannot feel the difference of 2" from the 7' equivalent
I`m beating the console up now with seven footers LOL. Plus my accuracy suffers when casting longer sticks in cover situations other than pitching.