Reel seat ID?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
centurion
Angler
Angler

Reel seat ID?

Post by centurion » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Hello!

Could you help me to choose the correct ID of the reel seat, please?

If I have something like that:

And ie: X= 11.5 mm; y= 12mm; z= 12.25mm. Which ID must I buy if I'm going to use Fuji ECS?

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day!

ps: Of course X and Z are the limits of the reel seat.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Reel seat ID?

Post by Mattman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:24 am

Size where the butt of the seat will sit on the blank. Looking like a 12 and ream to fit.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:25 am

that is a lot of taper for a blank around the reel seat! what kind of blank is it?

I would probably go with a 12. Generally you want to match the blank diameter where the exposed part of the reel seat is. You can dremel some off the ID of the back of the seat if you can't get it to slide down.

I use a graphite arbor on the front of the ECSM, so that will be reamed to match the blank.

centurion
Angler
Angler

Post by centurion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:07 am

Hello, thank's for your help again.

The blank is a Phenix Ultra Mbx 7' H. Something has changed in the production of this blanks. A friend of mine and fishing mate has the same blank purchased one year ago and my blank has a slightly more matte finish. Also seems to be a little bit stiffer, but till I end the rod can't confirm that. In this moment can't say if it's better, the same with different finish or worse.

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:51 pm

I would use a 12 also,and get the ecsm.......the new acs's are not comfortable.I would make it an RF lite if it were mine! you might still use an arbor under the threaded end.Atc seats seem to fit better and rarely need an arbor,but the fuji is a better seat,and might still be a little sloppy up front when you ream it to fit the blank on the backside.