Frog and topwater/jerkbait blank recommendations

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Frog and topwater/jerkbait blank recommendations

Post by falcon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:34 am

Looking to see what you guys recommend here so I can do some research.

The frog rod I currently use a 735 lamiglas. Like the rod but it just has too much tip power. Looking for a strong butt to fish the slop while offering a nice tip to work hollow body frogs like spros. The lamiglas feels like I'm just pulling the frogs. Looking for a budget blank here $140 is my absolute top dollar I'm looking to spend prefer less expensive.

For the other rod looking for a rod to pull double duty for topwater and jerkbaits. I like a xfast action rod for this 6'8 to 6'10 thinking the croix 6'8 is the best blank available. Same here being budget minded like to keep it under $120
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Frog and topwater/jerkbait blank recommendations

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I have the same Lami blank for frogs. It is a monster. :lol: I use it more for paddletails and jigs in the slop, but I can walk frogs with it too. It just takes some adjusting because of that tip..way fast and powerful. I'm sure there is an SC3 blank that would suffice. Sensitivity is not too necessary for a frog rod, so there is no need for an SC4 or 5. You can extend a 3C70HF a few inches...that would be a nice, budget frog rod.

For a topwater/jerkbait rod, I am fishing an MHX MB843 cut down to 6'5". At any length, it won't be x-fast. However, I think the blank is perfect for me for jerks and topwater with trebles. I can easily work the baits, hook up well and I don't lose fish when they are attached. An MB783 extended to the right length will get you an x-fast rod. I'm also assuming your largest bait is about 3/4oz.

HTH...

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm on the same page as Tokugawa cut down a 7' med/fast for jerkbaits and maybe try the MB874-MHX for frogs.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:13 am

I like a blank rated up to about 1 ounce for my frogging. The 70MHF from Croix or the 70HF. MB 709-1 from North Fork.

The 68MXF is a popular topwater choice. I tend to like my rods stiffer than that however. Spin Jig, Spin Bass or Mag Bass tapers rated to 3/4 ounce. The S66MHF from Croix. MB 665-1 from North Fork.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:46 am

I have been trying to come up with the magic frog rod solution for years. Guys want a fast tip that allows them to chuck a frog a mile, and then be able to walk it easily. Of course, they also need TONS of back bone to rip the fish out of heavy cover from a mile away. My best solution for heavy cover is the 4c79HF. Actually has a pretty fast tip for the power and it has TONS of backbone.

For the topwater rod, you might want to look at the 4C70MHXF and trim to the length you like.

My personal topwater rods are 4c70MHMF and a 5c72MHMF. Despite the "moderate fast rating" and crankbait designation these blanks are pretty fast and i can chuck a barely legal vixen a mile and the standard vixen almost two miles! I use 30# tufline braid as my mainline and run a 17# stiff mono leader (keeps the line from getting tangled in the trebles). I fish a Vixen ALOT for open water smallies and this rod does a great job of hooking and keeping on the fish! Just load up the rod and slowly reel them in to the net!

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 am

What's your thoughts on the frog rod if I went with the croix 7HM or mhx 907? Will the power be there for hooksets?
I also thought about the croix 7MHF extended a bit.

Next the other rod. I tend to look away from cranking rods cause I like a rod that recovers quick to work walking baits efficiently but also thought of switching to braid thinking mono is more my problem with it's stretch.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:55 am

falcon wrote:Next the other rod. I tend to look away from cranking rods cause I like a rod that recovers quick to work walking baits efficiently but also thought of switching to braid thinking mono is more my problem with it's stretch.
You'd be surprised how quickly a cut down worming blank recovers, even if it is a mod/fast action. I can walk a Sammy 85 which has a pretty short cadence. I'm using Sunline Super Natural too. And it makes for an excellent small spinnerbait rod. ;)

Don't forget to seriously consider handle length on a topwater/jerk bait rod. A short handle that does not get caught up in rain gear or jackets is critical for that rod. Jerks will be tossed best when it is cold. :big grin:

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:18 pm

My biggest topwater is a gunfish in the larger size

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:21 am

These are the blanks I narrowed down to

All spiral wrapped micros

Topwater jerkbait 6'6 blank with 8.5 or 9" handle
Croix sc3 68mxf
Croix 66mf
Mhx 783

Frog 7'2 or 7'3 blank 10" handle
Castaway 874
Mhx907 crank blank
Croix sc3 MHF

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:03 am

falcon wrote:These are the blanks I narrowed down to

All spiral wrapped micros

Topwater jerkbait 6'6 blank with 8.5 or 9" handle
Croix sc3 68mxf
Croix 66mf
Mhx 783

Frog 7'2 or 7'3 blank 10" handle
Castaway 874
Mhx907 crank blank
Croix sc3 MHF
This is the action you are looking for for jerkbaits. I like a shorter handle...about 7.5". Up to you...

The Castaway is a very nice blank!

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Personally, I tried my LEC68MXF w/ pointer 100's 1 time, didn't like it one bit although it did handle some big river smallies well once hooked. I also have an older pre IPC Avid AC68MXF and it's one stiff blank, I wouldn't even think about putting a trebled bait on this rod. Not sure how much the newer ones have changed, I know the sc3 69MLXF changed alot. Granted these were both off the shelf rods.

I like a more mod fast for 4" and larger jerks and TW . For small jerks and TW I use a SJ781(built as casting) although a 782 would probably work as good or better(this may be my next project). I like fast action on the smaller baits. I've also used a couple different SC 66MF and they worked well for a rod in between the ones mentioned above.

edit to add: I like an 8" handle on TW/SJB rods.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Is that the 843? And how did you cut it down? Just the butt or some from the tip as well?

The castaway 874 can anyone describe this rod to me? I'm really interested to hear about the tip power of this rod

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:25 pm

falcon wrote:Is that the 843? And how did you cut it down? Just the butt or some from the tip as well?

The castaway 874 can anyone describe this rod to me? I'm really interested to hear about the tip power of this rod
I've fondled the 904 and like the description says they are mod to mod/fast. Great for braid. Excellent balancein the build I felt. The 904 was a flipping stick and it was just downright sick! Easy to manipulate a 3/8 oz jig, but loads of power too. The mod/fast action will slow down your hookset...which is not necessarily a bad thing.

KyLakeLunker
Angler
Angler

Post by KyLakeLunker » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Go to rodbuilding.org and search for "frog rod" there is a lot of info on the castaway blanks for a frog rod. Between this site and the other, I can usually find what I'm looking for. I just built a deep cranker on a castaway blank for a guy. He's using it this weekend for the first time. It's the 965, which wouldn't be a good frog rod. A lot seem to like the xp3 874 for a frog rod.

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:56 pm

I dont think you can beat the Castaway 874 for a frog rod.Way too much for a toad though.I would have to say I like the Rogue mb704 for toads......all Sic's of course.(the Castaway can be had for 61.00 call lance at swamplandtackle.com)
I like the 6ft 8 Avid you mentioned also.I use a custom IMX 782 for jerkbaits,and small topwaters.Do not shy away from the mudhole mhx's.........guys are knoking them a little,but dollar for dollar......they cannot be beat! they are not as crisp as a Loomis/but I tend to like a little slower stick for moving baits and use my Loomis's for worming /jigging.I have built on quite a few MhX blanks.....and they are great.