Almost two rod builds under my belt

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
snooking80
Angler
Angler

Almost two rod builds under my belt

Post by snooking80 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi, I am working on my second build and I wanted to share with you guys a few pics of how the rod was coming along. Sorry for the lousy pictures.

This rod build is based on a blinged out Lamiglas DTIMC84-M blank. Nothing has been glued to the blank yet because I am still switching pieces around until I find the best look but so far I personally think is coming out very nice, what do you guys think.

I am going to finish it with spiral wrapped Fuji Alconite black frame micro guides (df 6, sf 5, 4.5, 4 running guides and tip top) or standard size Fuji Titanium coated IC guides (df 12, 10, sf 8, 6 running guides and tip top).

The base weight of the blank is 2.32oz and with all the bling I added it now weights 4.3oz, the Alconite micros with tip top are 1.1g and the Titanium coated are 3.2g. When all is set and done it should weight 4.5oz or less. Which guide set would you go with.

Which of the two versions do you dig the most the one with the foregrip piece or the one without. Any opinions, advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. Tight lines!!
Attachments
DSCN4466.jpg
DSCN4466.jpg (32.46 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
DSCN4460.jpg
DSCN4460.jpg (36.97 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
DSCN4457.jpg
DSCN4457.jpg (25.9 KiB) Viewed 3084 times

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Almost two rod builds under my belt

Post by Pmedicbm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:52 am

Looks wise, I'm on the fence with the foregrip.. I typically shy away from them myself... As far as balance is concerned it may or may not play into the overall balance of your rod, and that'd be the deal breaker for me on that.. As far as the guides are concerned, again, I'd weigh them out and see which set is going to balance it out a little bit better. You're probably going to be a little tip heavy I'd imagine, and I'd guess no forgrip with the lightest guides of the choices available would be your best choice.. I'm no professional rod builder, but have a few under my belt.. Just my 2 cents based on only 2 years building.. Good luck.. :)
Pmedicbm

snooking80
Angler
Angler

Post by snooking80 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:08 am

I appreciate your suggestions. I am on the fence with the foregrip too that's why I attached a picture with no foregrip version. I have posted the weight for each guide set on the original post. Also, do you look to balance the rod by itself or with your reel of choice mounted on. Thanks

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:34 am

Beautiful rod. I like the foregrip. Has the JDM look and for me is not an issue. You've got the whole Megabass thing going on there =D> I like it :!:

I designed, after searching for the Matagi parts (winding checks, trim rings and handle material and design..even the thread color to match the reel) that captured the original Pix Rod concept and had Matt Davis build it for me. I could have left the foregrip off but went with it to maintain the JDM look and feel.

I had Matt use a balancing kit on the butt end so the outfit balances directly under the reel.

Since you designed the rod handle as you did, it would be a shame to omit the foregrip.

Again just my opinion. If I were ordering a rod from you, I'd definitely wan that foregip included.
Attachments
Full_Photo_3.jpg
Full_Photo_3.jpg (99.98 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Koldkut » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:36 am

Aluminum checks are heavy from what I found out from building a few rods with them.

I also found that with a grip, a flare at the end of the palm really feels nice .

Just some things to think about.
Hydra pro-staff builder hydrafishing.com

snooking80
Angler
Angler

Post by snooking80 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:03 am

USA-RET
Thank you very much for your positive comments. Yes, I was going for that JDM look and IMHO those are the best looking rods on the market. Your rod looks out of this world, very nice, Matt is certainly a pro. To be honest with you I am saving the high end Matagi stuff for my 4 high SCV NSI blanks I have waiting on the side because I would like to get a few more builds under my belt before I work on those expensive top of the line blanks. I do have a few more cool pieces (see attached pictures below) I was thinking about adding to this rod but I am still not sure if this blank is well deserving of so many expensive bling items.

Koldkut
When it comes to winding checks it all depends on the ones you choose. For example, Matagi WC are very light as well as Acidrod AWC (12mm .2g, 13.5mm-14mm .3g), now Mudhole AAWC are quite heavy (13mm 1.3g, 13.5mm 1.7g) as well as Batson AWCC (11.5mm 1.2g, 12mm 1.1g). Choose the right winding check and you could have some bling without much added weight.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you meant by having a flare at the end of the palm. Would you care to explain or a link with a picture.
Attachments
DSCN4471.jpg
DSCN4471.jpg (23.76 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
DSCN4470.jpg
DSCN4470.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 3041 times

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:59 am

snooking80 wrote: I do have a few more cool pieces (see attached pictures below) I was thinking about adding to this rod but I am still not sure if this blank is well deserving of so many expensive bling items.
Very nice pieces, I can see where using those pieces on your current project would really bring the whole package together. Certainly a tough call using high end components on an inexpensive blank.

Personally I'd play around with the components for a while and not rush into actually building it. Often doing so will allow for other ideas and options to gel.

That being said, I'm one for going "all in" whenever I do something creative. There's always future projects to try new things.

I really like that you are doing theme based rods =D>
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:49 am

Looks good to me! Keep us updated on the project.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)