modifying stock legend xtreme

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
shlew
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

modifying stock legend xtreme

Post by shlew » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:46 pm

XC68MXF. Love the action. Love the blank. Love the styling. BUT can't get used to the handle design. Every time I cast it feels like the whole rod will come flying out of my hands. Feel the cork behind the reel seat is either too rounded or too short. When you position your hand to engage the thumb bar, the base of your hand reaches the blank, and that combined with the rounded handle just feels like it doesn't offer much grip. Is it possible to remove the cork alone and replacing it? Or maybe putting grip wraps would help. Are wraps really thick? Will they increase the diamete of the grip too much?

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: modifying stock legend xtreme

Post by RGMatt » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:36 pm

option 1, I'd try the flocked heat shrink rubber tubing first. If you don't like it you can cut it off easily and move on to the next option.

option 2, I'd use EVA. You'll have to remove the butt and rear grips, remove the excess epoxy, and lightly sand smooth. EVA will stretch. Ream the eva slightly smaller than the blank dia. and slide the eva up from the butt to the reel seat. It will give you a tight fit, i've even not glued one I did like this and never had a problem. May have to lube the blank (if you glue it the epoxy works as lube too).

option 3, if your set on cork you'll need to ream the new cork grips to the largest blank diameter. It will be alittle sloppy at the reel seat so you may need mesh drywall tape as arbors to get a tight fit. Also will most likely need thread wraps at the ends of the grips to make the ends tight.......OR build the whole rear grip assembly on a carbon fiber tube and slide the whole thing from the butt up. Again you'll need mesh tape as arbors for the carbon fiber tubing. This way you'll be able to use winding checks if you want.

Similar to this but I wouldn't buy the kit:
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... e-System-1

option 4, sell it and put the money towards a custom built on that blank w/ grips and components you like.
BTW I have the LEC68MXF and have considered this myself. Love the blank, not so crazy about the ACS reel seat.

hope this helps

Matt

shlew
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shlew » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks RGMatt. Will try the option 1 first.

I actually am fine with ACS. It's just the shape and size of the cork behind the reel seat that is really bothersome. It's like they didn't measure where someone's hand would be positioned during the cast. Maybe it's just me. But really feels like a design flaw. I really want to try the new xc 610mhxf. But now it's clear I'll have to have one custom built because of the handle.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:17 am

X2 on the shrink tube. Its quick, easy, cheap, and easily reversible if you don't like the results.

You could even buy an EVA grip, and with some handwork, make a small section that would effectively lengthen your grip. Slice it down the length and them put it on the rod. Install the shrink tube over it and the existing grip.

The wraps aren't overy thick. But you can put multiple layers if you want until you find the thickness you like.

Replacing the grip takes some talent. At least to do a good job of it.

If your warranty is important to you, you need to be careful how much you modify your rods. You can negate your warranty with too much work. St. Croix is pretty good about that. For instance, if you broke your rod half way up the blank and had a bunch of handle modifications, they'd most likely still honor the warranty. Some companies won't.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:47 am

go with option 4 if option 1 doesn't work. you we almost always better off starting with a clean pallet than to do handle work on a factory rod with warranty!

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:21 am

One more option to consider here.A custom builder could ct the cork off before the taper of the handle,ream new cork rings to the taper of the blank,and the new rings would have to be "Halved" and epoxied extending your factory handle to the length you prefer.This sounds like alot of work,but its not too bad.If the rings are cable tied while epoxied and in a rod clamp,you will never even see the seems once it has been turned down on a lathe.Just a thought.

shlew
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shlew » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:54 am

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I may try the flocked shrink tubes with reamed out eva idea.