light topwater, contact bait blank suggestion

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: light topwater, contact bait blank suggestion

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:22 pm

I have a first gen green blank SCV 70MLF and love fishing light shakey heads and the small Daiwa/Iovino/Viva poppers and pencil style stick baits on it. Don't know how the current SCV 70MLF fishes in comparison however?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:30 am

I agree 100% with rgmatt.
I had a 7' casting scv built with 3.5 ti micros, cut down ecs seat, Eva foam, and it weighted 2.92 ounces.
Sensitivity was very very disappointing. I will never buy another st. Croix anything. I also had a 6'6" ltb mh casting rod I wasn't impressed with either.
The scv custom did everything great except being sensitive. The tamper in the blank was awesome, casted great, fought fish great, etc.... I was so disappointed and fished it more for a while thinking this can't be right. Ended up selling it to another board member.
My phenix blows it out of the water! See if they have a blank that fit your needs.
I missed fish because of the croix scv no bs.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:37 am

Boon i wasnt all that impressed with my scv7M but after fishing it its just pure heaven. Its easily my best and favorite rod i own.

Now for my phenix its the complete opposite. loved it at first but after fishing it i no longer like the rod and am considering selling it. Sensitivity is there and its an awesome build but i just am not liking the action of this blank. Its just to fast for my liking and ive lost way too many fish on this rod using trigs and quite a few tossing hollow belly swimbaits. Its the 707H model. I been debating just using it for jigs but im afraid the way i set the hook the rod wont last long as it doesnt have that give im looking for. Right now its used as a carolina rig rod and i dont carolina rig.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:00 pm

falcon wrote:Boon i wasnt all that impressed with my scv7M but after fishing it its just pure heaven. Its easily my best and favorite rod i own.

Now for my phenix its the complete opposite. loved it at first but after fishing it i no longer like the rod and am considering selling it. Sensitivity is there and its an awesome build but i just am not liking the action of this blank. Its just to fast for my liking and ive lost way too many fish on this rod using trigs and quite a few tossing hollow belly swimbaits. Its the 707H model. I been debating just using it for jigs but im afraid the way i set the hook the rod wont last long as it doesnt have that give im looking for. Right now its used as a carolina rig rod and i dont carolina rig.
Don't you think the SCV should be more sensitive for a nearly $200 blank? Like I said above it did everything great but sensitive and that is number one on my list so it didn't fly.
Crazy you are losing fish because of the fast action.... Hard you tried losing your drag a bit?
Try it with jigs... I bet it will last man. I have pounded some fish with my 7' mh custom.
Is the Phenix you have a custom?

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:21 am

Yes it's a custom. I don't know the numbers but it has to be much closer to XF than F. I will say for the price the phenix is not far off from my z or the scv.

I don't feel the sensitivity is lacking at all in the scv. It's right there with my zbone built on the HM blank. The z is built on a more powerful blank as well which I feel usually transfers feel a bit better.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS