size 2 micro guides

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

size 2 micro guides

Post by Koldkut » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:59 am

Has anyone used size 2 micros on a rod? Was there any noticeable difference from size 4's?
Hydra pro-staff builder hydrafishing.com

rglabach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: size 2 micro guides

Post by rglabach » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:27 am

I have not - you might want to see how easy it is to thread fishing line through such a small guide before wrapping it.

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Koldkut » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:49 am

I'm not worried about that, how often do you thread line through your rods? One and done before fishing and your good to go, I have not tried these for myself and I have heard conflicting things with freezing temps.

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shfishinsticks » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 am

I have a bag of #2's, but haven't done anything with them yet....don't know what blank I want to put them on.

I wouldn't use anything smaller than #6 if it's gonna see freezing temps.

harry chang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by harry chang » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 am

I have never gone smaller than the 4 simply because there are no tip tops to fit. Reaaly do not like the look of a larger top than the guide next to it. And i cannnot stand the look of wrapping a guide as the top. How are you planning to finish the rod at the top with the #2s?

Harrry

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Koldkut » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:31 am

harry chang wrote:I have never gone smaller than the 4 simply because there are no tip tops to fit. Reaaly do not like the look of a larger top than the guide next to it. And i cannnot stand the look of wrapping a guide as the top. How are you planning to finish the rod at the top with the #2s?

Harrry
With a size 4...

even though it may look funny with a larger tip than running guide, the fly fishing world has been doin' it for years.....

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Almost all of my micro rods have a #5.5 or 6 tiptop. I don't have problems passing knots through my guides but I find they hang on tiptops. I don't find it looks bad at all. And I still get the benifits of micros without having to fish straight fluro. Who cares what it looks like. It just has to preform.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:22 am

Bigs|ick wrote:Who cares what it looks like. It just has to preform.
you obviously havent been on tackletour too long, or looked at any JDM fishing stuff! hehe

for the record, i subscribe to your line of thinking!

also, i have been using the #4 micro tip tops from fuji and i am passing knots with no issues. Albright knot, 10 wraps of the braid around a fluoro leader. Clip tag ends super close to the knot

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:35 am

jimmyb wrote:
Bigs|ick wrote:Who cares what it looks like. It just has to preform.
you obviously havent been on tackletour too long, or looked at any JDM fishing stuff! hehe

I have customers that would go nuts if I had size 2 running guides and then a 5 or 6 tip top. I have had customers that wouldn't allow for any size difference.

Typically, if my sizing is going to be 2 sizes or greater difference between the running and tip top, I confirm with the customer.

So...I'm in the same boat with Harry. I don't use that small of a guide because there are no tops and wrapping a guide at the tip is worse than too large of a top.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Alex D
Angler
Angler

Post by Alex D » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:32 am

Kold... they work great, but I really only like them when I am using no leader and really prefer them with braid. Flouro works fine and really mono too, but I just prefer with braid. Maybe personal preference.

It's funny to me that so many (not just here) refuse the larger top - Rich Forhan was a proponent of it for years - he used a size 8 top with 6 running guides on his revolver rods for some specific reasons.

I prefer larger tops for certain uses (and customers :big grin: ) also.
Hydra Fishing, LLC ::: ALX Rods

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:32 am

If you can put your line through a hook eye and tie it, you can thread a micro guide.

I use 3.5mm running guides and a 4.5 guide as a top, a smaller top will pinch .12" - .13" mono and restrict flow when the line takes a sharp angle from the tip. I just explain it to people and tell them it's high-tech.