Rod building vendors

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod building vendors

Post by craigrbns » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:41 pm

I've been a bit unhappy with the vendor Ive been using of late. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to recommend any vendors that theyve had good luck with from a service and selection standpoint. Ive got a few in mind that Im thinking about trying, but figured Id get some valued TT forum opinions before contacting someone new. Ideally Id love great customer service, decent selection, fair shipping prices, and hopefully a lack of items on backorder! Thanks in advance! - Craig

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Rod building vendors

Post by Mattman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Bingham Enterprises and Anglers Workshop are my go to suppliers.

I have active accounts with a half dozen other suppliers but the above are my go to.

Before I started to buy wholesale, Cabela's was an outstanding supplier.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:16 pm

getbitoutdoors.com is another one I'd recommend.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:53 pm

5bites wrote:getbitoutdoors.com is another one I'd recommend.
how are they on shipping prices?

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:28 am

I went to the site to play around with the shopping cart to confirm shipping charges. With some guides the shipping was $6.95 which is kinda high but that seems to be the trend with small orders. I added a blank and the shipping was only $10 and change. This is way fair in my opinion. I think the last mudhole order I made was around $26 shipping.

I hope he broadens his selection some more as far as blanks go. I've talked with Kevin the owner quite a bit. I like what he's doing with his outdoor ministry and business so I'm going to use him when I can.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:45 am

5bites wrote:I went to the site to play around with the shopping cart to confirm shipping charges. With some guides the shipping was $6.95 which is kinda high but that seems to be the trend with small orders. I added a blank and the shipping was only $10 and change. This is way fair in my opinion. I think the last mudhole order I made was around $26 shipping.

I hope he broadens his selection some more as far as blanks go. I've talked with Kevin the owner quite a bit. I like what he's doing with his outdoor ministry and business so I'm going to use him when I can.
thanks for the info. I'll have to try them out sooner or later , like you said that shipping isn't all that bad when compared to places like mudhole and janns. You adda blank and components and shipping goes through the roof w/ them.

Shoff tackle , while I only used them 1 time, was very accomadating and helpfull when I forgot to add something to my internet order. Shipping was actual shipping cost as they add it in after the order is figured and send an email invoice. I'd use them again, selection is somewhat limited though.

mcm83
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcm83 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:26 am

swamplandtackle and midwestrodandreel. 2 of the best!
ive come to NOT like mudhole too much. i used to order from them a lot but after my trip to FL and visiting the actual store, eh...NO. CS over the phone is great but up front in person and face to face is horrible. one of their guys just sat there in front of the computer surfing the net - NOTHING FISHING RELATED - while i waited patiently behind the counter - RIGHT NEXT TO HIM. that and their shipping charges are insane!

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:17 am

Lance at Swampland is my favorite to deal with.Anglers workshop is good too,but not Bass guys.Karen at Bingham is just OK,super hard to get a hold of though.I agree on Mudholes shipping,but sometimes they have exactly what I need.Janns is right up there with Mudhole on shipping.I live in the same state (OHIO) and I was charged more for shipping,than the SIC tip top I ordered.......and that was all I ordered.
Just my 2 cents.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 am

Been using versitex ever since I started building.

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:14 am

I typically use Mudhole for the following reasons:
Located in Canada, my orders are subject to higher shipping and then customs charges. If I can get all of my components from one supplier, I feel that I save money in the long term. So, considering the selection at Mudhole, they tend to satisfy my needs here. If the other suppliers had more selection, I would not hesitate to try them out as well.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:55 am

Mudhole. I just had an issue with receiving a broken part. No questions asked it was on its way. Great CS in my opinion. They'll continue to get my money.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:54 am

Mudhole for most of my stuff. Since Todd and Bob now work there I think they are top notch if you have aquestion or issue. I bought from Bob for years and was never dissappointed with the service. I also have used several other suppliers and in general had great results. I suggest you develop a relation with someone at several places. Call, swap E-mails, say hi every now and then, and for you east coast folks attend the Rod show in NC next Feb or others accross the counrty. Personally meeting the folks can do wonders for service! And you can find some real deals too.

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:41 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I've got a few blanks in house now with all the components I need to finish them, but Im planning on trying out a new vendor as soon as I finish these projects. I figure it wont hurt to branch out a bit and give another vendor or two a chance to impress. The North Carolina rod show is def on my list for early next year. I havent made it before, but will make it a priority this time around, and hopefully an annual trip! Thanks again!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:48 am

craigrbns wrote: Im planning on trying out a new vendor as soon as I finish these projects. I figure it wont hurt to branch out a bit and give another vendor or two a chance to impress.
Personally, I hate ordering from east of the Mississippi. I can order from Anglers Workshop in Washington and get stuff faster, with fewer delays, with fewer damages than I can from someone closer to me but from the east.

You also may find a supplier that happens to stock your most frequently used items so turn times are quick.

I'm also big on service and that's one of the reasons why I use the vendors I use.

You ned to find the fit thats right for you.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:31 pm

jimmyb wrote:Been using versitex ever since I started building.
I guess your buying at wholesale prices from them? From their site they are crazy expensive, for the guides I looked at anyway. They are about an hr from me and I was considering driving out there the other day but the higher prices scared me off. I do remember before the crash awhile back that they offered a TT discount of some sort. it was in a sticky.
Mattman wrote:[Personally, I hate ordering from east of the Mississippi. I can order from Anglers Workshop in Washington and get stuff faster, with fewer delays, with fewer damages than I can from someone closer to me but from the east.
Thats what impressed me w/ Shoff(in Washington). faster shipping than janns and Mudhole which are ALOT closer to me.