chop, cut, rebuild a glx???

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

chop, cut, rebuild a glx???

Post by triple_illusion » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:37 am

i have two glx spinning rods....would prefer them to be baitcasting rods....is it possible to have a rod builder take them apart and rebuild them as casting rods? without damaging the integrity of the blank? is a spinning glx the same as a casting glx? just has different guides and handles right? casting and spinning glx blanks are identical right?

in other words, if i can't buy a glx blank to use for a custom rod i am willing to sacrifice my spinning rods to the cause....

lemme know what you think about this idea...
FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: chop, cut, rebuild a glx???

Post by Mattman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:56 am

triple_illusion wrote: is it possible to have a rod builder take them apart and rebuild them as casting rods?
Yes. I've done many.

triple_illusion wrote:without damaging the integrity of the blank?
Yes

triple_illusion wrote: is a spinning glx the same as a casting glx? just has different guides and handles right? casting and spinning glx blanks are identical right?
It depends on the model. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

triple_illusion wrote: in other words, if i can't buy a glx blank to use for a custom rod i am willing to sacrifice my spinning rods to the cause....
As are a fair number of people these days.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:54 am

Here's how I did it as I explained in a thread last year. This rod used to be a GLoomis spinning rod, GLX BSR802. Rated for 6-10 pound line, 1/8 to 1/4 oz lures. I removed the recoil guides and the finish, and the reel seat. I split and reshaped the cork (I might replace it later), added a Minima reel seat and Fuji Alconite micro guides. With the yellow Pixy the rod/reel combo weighs in around 9 oz. It is a great rod for tubes, small craws and creatures on a jighead, etc. The rod is super sensitive, light and powerful. Its been a great river smallmouth rod for me.

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:40 am

Wow, that's impressive. Beautiful rod. I have yet to 1) have the patience to remove finish and 2) have the proper space set up in my house for a more serious rod building hobby besides gluing up new ones.

ptorlax18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ptorlax18 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:05 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:Here's how I did it as I explained in a thread last year. This rod used to be a GLoomis spinning rod, GLX BSR802. Rated for 6-10 pound line, 1/8 to 1/4 oz lures. I removed the recoil guides and the finish, and the reel seat. I split and reshaped the cork (I might replace it later), added a Minima reel seat and Fuji Alconite micro guides. With the yellow Pixy the rod/reel combo weighs in around 9 oz. It is a great rod for tubes, small craws and creatures on a jighead, etc. The rod is super sensitive, light and powerful. Its been a great river smallmouth rod for me.

wow geezer that is really nice

this is cool idea i never thought of for fishing smaller baits, honestly im not the biggest spinning tackle fan