Minima seat issue/question

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Wafflejaw
Angler
Angler

Minima seat issue/question

Post by Wafflejaw » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:08 am

Maybe Ive never noticed before on previous ones Ive built...But on this current one..The trigger of the Minima is taller than the threads (14.5mm seat,slightly reamed) ...If I put a BC reel flat on the trigger section..The reel foot wants to hover about 3-4mm over the threads...So in order to tighten down the reel it has to be angled downwards slightly..Just doesn't seem right at all?....

Anyone else noticed this? ..Thanks

Walker

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Minima seat issue/question

Post by Mattman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 pm

I've not had that before. Just finishing up a build with a Minima and its just fine.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Wafflejaw
Angler
Angler

Post by Wafflejaw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 am

Yea it seems weird....Ill see if I can get a photo to show what Im talking about tonight...I may order another one and compare.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 am

Is their different size minims like a 16,17,18 similar to how Fuji does it? If so I'd almost have to think you got two different sized seats.

It's possible the the hole was molded at an angle too I suppose.

Wafflejaw
Angler
Angler

Post by Wafflejaw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:47 am

The thread section only comes in one size...I had to ream the trigger section just a bit for the correct fit...The front sits solid against the blank and leveled...I double check a rod I have with one with the same reel and it sits fine...
If I set the reel up and try the to tighten it down..The tip of the reel foot wants to hit the top lip of the hood.

Alex D
Angler
Angler

Post by Alex D » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:49 am

Every one I ever tried using did the same thing.
Hydra Fishing, LLC ::: ALX Rods

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:05 am

I personally wouldn't use it. I would think it would tweak or bind the rod some and also put unnecessary stress in the reel. I hope it isn't glued up.

Wafflejaw
Angler
Angler

Post by Wafflejaw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 am

This is what Im seeing.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:32 pm

This happens when you ream the Minima. You don't take any material off the front section under the V, so you end up with a little ramp. If you make an effort to take a little material from under the front, it will level out.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:41 am

robertrinaustin wrote:This happens when you ream the Minima. You don't take any material off the front section under the V, so you end up with a little ramp. If you make an effort to take a little material from under the front, it will level out.

Exactly, you reamed the hole crooked. it is hard to ream an unsupported hole straight. i will use a burr bit on a dremel to take out the unsupported material, so the seat lays flat.

harry chang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by harry chang » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:08 am

Yes, this has happened to me before. Reaming has to be very precise on the Minima seat, or else it will follow the original angle causing exactly what you are seening. To compensate, I mount the reel to the assembly before glueing thus line up the reel foot. However, by doing this, the blank may not be in the center of the hooded section. Have you tried the new Fuji split seat? I did not think much of them just by looking, but after building a few, they feel way more comfortable than the Minima.

Wafflejaw
Angler
Angler

Post by Wafflejaw » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:07 am

Ya'll were supposed to say ''Nah dude, you got a bad seat,send it back!''
:lol:

Thanks guys...Yea It looks like a bad ream on my part...I just got it straighten out and its much,much better.
Yea Harry I have a SK2 on another rod Im working on as well...I like em a lot so far!
Never liked Minima's...Those triggers are way too long and curved for my taste....But thats what he wanted.

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:03 pm

looks like in the photo you are using a pac minima in the trigger and a fuji in the treaded,
maybe a size 17 will help a little, but the reel seat so done willl add a lot of stree to the blank,

the sk2 of fuji is very beautiful, so try with it, but you need the 17size for blank over 15 mm and the coupled wingding checks.
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!