Fuji Guides: SiC or Alconite?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fuji Guides: SiC or Alconite?

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:27 am

Ti/SIC goes on every single rod I make

When investing so much time and labor and sweat in your prized custom why settle for less just to save a few bucks?

My 0.02

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Just to chime in. If budget no object, Fuji Ti SIC are the best. Not sure what you are building but for under 10 lbs spinning, Fuji TATSG singlefoot titanium SIC are hands down my favorite.

UL

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:13 am

Hi,
Alconite for 90% of the rod i use,
only with braid and only for light tackleIi prefer sic, ( only fuji sic because other sic aren't su smooth than fuji,and for braided line because them will be more abrasive when dirty)

Ti frames are very light but also they will show a sort of elasticity that I not always prefer in certain conditions ( like the spinning rods with big guides)
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!

Angler JO
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Angler JO » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:13 am

I've done a little research on this subject. The difference in weight between a 5.5 TKTSG (K-series, single-foot, runner, SiC ring) and a 5.5 TKTAG (same with Alconite ring) is about .01 grams or one one-hundreth of a gram on a digital gram scale. That's not enough difference to make much of a difference. Braid technology has advanced to the point where it is so smooth it will not groove Alconite or SiC. SiC will sell for about $1.25 - $1.50 more than Alconite in smaller sizes and $2.00 - $3.00 more in larger sizes (big generalization here but close enough for comparison). Both rings have a full, smooth radius on the inside surface (the most important feature for reducing friction). SiC is harder and has a diamond polish that gives it a silvery grey, almost mirrored finish. They are easy to recognize on a rod. Alconite is jet black, very shiny and very "handsome" in titanium frames. Either ring will perform well, but the SiC makes a statement that the builder "cared enough to give the very best". Whether you're building for others or yourself it says a lot about your attention to detail and that, I think, is what custom rod building is all about.
Angler's Resource

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:55 am

jimmyb wrote:has anyone seen grooved alconite "from braid fished in dirty water?"

I know about the supposed pics of grooved recoils, but i have never seen any alconite (or other lesser ceramics) that have been grooved
The only problem I had with a Zillion was a cut in the line guide. I have never used braid with this reel and I believe the problem was due to mineral derbies in the water after heavy rains together with the FC line.
Don't know if the gold insert is Alconite or SiC :?:

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
jimmyb wrote:has anyone seen grooved alconite "from braid fished in dirty water?"

I know about the supposed pics of grooved recoils, but i have never seen any alconite (or other lesser ceramics) that have been grooved
The only problem I had with a Zillion was a cut in the line guide. I have never used braid with this reel and I believe the problem was due to mineral derbies in the water after heavy rains together with the FC line.
Don't know if the gold insert is Alconite or SiC :?:
I didn't think they were either. titanium nitride?