blank suggestion?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

blank suggestion?

Post by kakaryan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:25 am

G'day.

I am recently looking for a blank similar to Samurai 251 (an aussie rod http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr ... ct_id=7679) to build a new custom BC rod, which has soft enough tip as the 251, grunt in the middle, light weight but has to be 2pc.

What blanks would you suggest?

I have a look of the St.Croix blanks. They have some 2pc UL models in SCV and SCIII, which are rated fast action, 2-6lb and cast down to 1/32oz. What do you think? Would it have enough grunt just like the 251? or it is slower in action just like a noodle rod? I don't want noodle this time, cos I have already had a Japanese BC trout rod which is just like a noodle.

Cheers.

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: blank suggestion?

Post by Phantom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:45 pm

i think youll find those blanks with a limited weight range (2-6lb) will be noodle-like. look for a blank with ex-fast action and a higher max weight range, something like 2-10lb. that will give you your grunt in the butt with a nice tip action.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:50 pm

i am not an ultra lite expert, but i will say the Stcroix UL blanks are not noodles. I would look at the 5s60ulf2 or 5s66lf2.

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 pm

noodle is probably not the best term, a 2-6lb blank will have alot more mid flex and lower flex than a 2-10lb. original post asked for a blank with a light tip and strong butt.
GUSA used to make an awesome one, check with motackle and rodworks to see if they have any left, forgot the model number but it was an awesome blank

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks for the comments.

Ideally, I would like to find a 2-10lb (or 4-10lb just like the Samurai 251) to ensure it has enough grunt, and soft tip (Aussie fishos who hv tried the 251 will know what I mean. Its cast weight is not rated, but I can say its tip is as light as a UL spinning tip which is rated down to 1/32oz).

From my experience, I think many BC rods are underrated. For example my Abu bait finesse rod is rated 1/16 - 1/4oz. Though I can still cast a 2.6g minnow with it, but its tip is actually much stiffer than other spinning rod with the same cast weight. Personally I'd better rate it 1/8 - 1/2oz.

Since I am going to order blank online (without trying them in hand first), to ensure the tip is "actually light enough", I was looking for blanks rated down to 1/32oz. And yes, the problem is they are usually 2-6lb. I don't know much about blanks, but I hv looked for several companies and I hvent seen any with heavier line rating.

Thanks Phantom I hv tried searching for GUSA blank but I think they have already been discontinued. Is there any other suggestion?

If not I think I ll stick with a 2-6lb blank as long as it is ex fast/fast action and not "noodle". For heavier line rating I can used my Abu bait finesse rod which is 6-10lb.

Cheers.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:44 am

Given your follow up comments here are some of the blanks that I'd steer you towards...

St. Croix LF
St. Croix MLF
St. Croix 69MLXF
North Fork CB 701-1
North Fork MB 663-1
North Fork SSP 767-1
Bingham Enterprises Bing SHX SJ781
Bingham Enterprises Bing SHX SJ782
Phenix S series ***L
Mudhole SJ781 MHX
Mudhole SJ782 MHX
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:24 pm

mattman
how are those bingham shx blanks?

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 pm

google GCCR Tackle, send the guy an email and see if he has any GUSA blanks still left. i believe he was the importer. look at the models UC 66LXF or UC 70LXF depending on what length you want. rated down to 1/32 with an ex-fast action. same butt dia. as a 4kg rod
they are still marketed here in aus under united composites. and yes you still can get them.

i wouldnt get the MHX blanks, they are not what your after (even tho i do really like them and have 4 of em, just not the right blank for this build)

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:26 pm

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Dont want to hijack the Pagani thread, so reply in here.
USA-RET wrote:I find virtually zero difference in my hand placement when fighting a fish using a pistol grip or a straight handle rod for bass fishing.

I fish palming the reel, when I get a fish on my other hand goes to the pistol grip portion of the rod (exactly the same spot on any of my straight handled rods) if I need to leverage a fish out of cover, but normally one hand stays on the crank handle and the other in the palming position during a normal hook-up and fight.

I'm sure some other fisherman use to lower portion as a hand-grip of the the long handle rods to "zing" baits out. I do not.

I do find 6' rods and 5'6" rods the best for pistol grips (with the 5'6" being my favorite). I also find the 5'6" pistol to fish exactly like a 6' long hand/split grip model.
Some new thoughts.

I remember that I bought a pistol grip handle from ebay ages ago, which I always wanted to rebuild it, but havent done yet. So how about using it for the new finesse BC rod that I started this thread for? Any thoughts?

I was intended to build this new fineese BC rod for the Conquest 51, so the offset handle may probably be a good idea for round reel. But I am not too sure this handle will match the rod in terms of balance and comfort to use. Some thoughts.

1.The handle is metal so it is quite heavy in weight. I have tried putting a UL rod on it but it feels strange when holding it. I don't know how to describe by words, but I guess heavy handle would be better matched with a heavier rod (Not finesse BC in this case).

2. I have another old cheapo pistol grip rod and it is tip heavy. Maybe it is due to bad blank quality or the lack of rear grip to balance to rod. Still, I love pistol grip but I am not too sure I should build one if I am buidling a new rod. Can a pistol grip rod be built as comfortable to hold as modern rods? Or it will always be tip heavy due to lack of rear grip, unless it is built very short?

Finally, if this handle fails :mrgreen: , I would like to make another "pistol grip", preferable using cork for weight reduction, and longer for balancing. Just like the Pagani. Is there any manufacturer make or online store sell this kind of curve cork handle? Or I have to make it from the start using cork rings?

Thanks. :big grin: