Blank suggestion 7' med/fast.

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Blank suggestion 7' med/fast.

Post by cjtoad » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm looking to build a new fluke rod and I can find a blank I like. I'm using a AT AMMBC843 and it's the perfect action, but a little heavy. I'd like to find a lighter (overall weight) and more sensitive blank, but most of the higher end blank manufacturers seem to be calling their 3 powers medhvy now. I don't need that much power for a fluke and if it's to stout it can make casting a real problem. I use a MHX 3 power for jigs and that blank is way to heavy for my fluke fishing. I'm looking to spend around $150 to $200 on the blank and I'll be put my supertuned Zillion TDZLN100SHA on it. Any suggestions? Thank's

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Blank suggestion 7' med/fast.

Post by Mattman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:43 am

Personally...I use a 2 power Spin Jig from Shikari. (rated for 1/8 - 3/8) Probably a little lighter than what you're talking about.

I'd steer you towards a 3 power Spin Jig. Something rated to 5/8.

A St. Croix M powered Spinning blank. North Fork has something in that class. SJ 705 I believe. Or similar models from others.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:26 am

cjtoad wrote: I'm using a AT AMMBC843 and it's the perfect action, but a little heavy. I'd like to find a lighter (overall weight)

what does it weigh???

i am using a 4c70MHXF as my fluke rod (built as a spinning rod.) However i use it to skip into jungles. Has a very nice, fast tip that i skip a mile... and good backbone to rip the fish out

I think a 5s610MXF or 5s70MF might be in your future...

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:27 am

Mattman wrote:I'd steer you towards a 3 power Spin Jig. Something rated to 5/8.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Does Northfork make one that I don't know about ? Or do I go with the Phenix TX-713M-S it's a little more than I'd like to spend, but I throw fluke all the time and can probably justify the cost. Or the HM-SJ843-MHX I like the MHX blanks and the warranties are great, just I want the best for this rod. Is there another I should be looking at? Like I said I throw flukes all year long and go threw 500 to 600 a year so this is a really important rod for me. Thank's again for the help.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 pm

What size fluke? Are you throwing a mag, tiny, standard, super jr or super fluke? And how are you rigging it?

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Tokugawa wrote:What size fluke? Are you throwing a mag, tiny, standard, super jr or super fluke? And how are you rigging it?
4.5" Trophybaits fluke on a 4/0 28 deg bend extra wide gap mustad jig hook with a medium coil keeper rigged texasposed.
(http://www.barlowstackle.com/Mustad-917 ... -P403.aspx )
(http://www.barlowstackle.com/Snap-on-Co ... -P914.aspx)

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:33 pm

OK...so maybe a 1/4 oz in total weight?

XMG50 LSJ862 or SJ842. I prefer the extra length on the 862, but these are uber light at 1 5/16 and 1 3/16 respectively. They will load perfectly and launch that no weight fluke.

The HM MHX SJ842 is 1.5 oz and the 843 is 2.15 oz. While the HM MHX are really nice, I'd go with something else if you are looking to minimize weight.

Not sure I'd put a Zillion on these blanks tho...this is Sol/Alphas/Pixy duty if you ask me...unless you've swapped spools. ;)

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Thank's Tokugawa I hadn't thought of the XMGs. I wish Daiwa would make a hyperspeed Pixy/Sol something around 7.3:1 or 32 IPT, because even with a 7.1:1 Zillion I can't fish a fluke fast enough. I'll probably upgrade to a Zillion Type R gear set just for the extra speed if I can. The smallies on the Connecticut river want it screaming most of the time.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Yeah...32IPT is way fast...crazy smallies :lol:

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 pm

jimmyb wrote:I think a 5s610MXF or 5s70MF might be in your future...
Ive got to agree with JimmyB on this one. Esp if you want casting distance over a bit more power. I have both of those rods built as casting rods and both are great for flukes, esp when I want casting distance. Granted, Im typically fishing open water with these rods on the coast for sea trout, flounder, and small mackerel and reds, so Im not overly worried about power. My 5s70MF is paired with a tuned Sol and my 5s610MXF is paired with a Calcutta TE 50. If you wanted a bit more power, just go with the casting blank counterparts of these rods and you cant go wrong.

Also, I just built a MHX HM 843 to use as an all purpose rod. It's paired with a Calcutta TE 100. Ive tried flukes with it, but it doesnt perform that well for that application for me, at least not with this reel (Ive tried a Zillion with long cast spool too and wasnt happy). It's a great all around rod, and I like it for throwing 1/8-1/4 ounce jig heads, but not light weight flukes. The upper end St Croix's would be my recommendation.... Good luck!

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Tokugawa wrote:Not sure I'd put a Zillion on these blanks tho...this is Sol/Alphas/Pixy duty if you ask me...unless you've swapped spools. ;)
Meant to add this on the last post. Def agree with Tokugawa on this one too. I always liked my Zillion for flukes, but loved my Sol. Recently I upgraded the Zillion spool to a long cast - now I love both!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:14 pm

cjtoad wrote: Does Northfork make one that I don't know about ?
SJ 705
Matt Davis

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:42 pm

[/quote]

SJ 705[/quote]
Their site calls it a med/hvy, but the rate seem more a med to me. I've never built or handled one would you call it a med?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:11 am

I would never rely on terms like Medium or Medium Heavy to make my call on a rod blank. Its an arbitrary term that I ONLY use a reference to a specific model. The line/lure ratings are typically much more accurate. And, given what I've seen of other SJ models, the line/lure ratings mimic the old G. Loomis stuff. So, this should be very much like the G. Loomis SJ843.
Matt Davis

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:51 am

Thank you guys!!