MHX S841

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

MHX S841

Post by Katron » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:42 am

Anybody have any experience with this blank? I am wanting to build a UL baitcast setup and do not want to break the bank. As with most that fish UL, sensitivity is not my main concern, but rather the action. I am looking for more of what some would call a mod-fast such as the action of many flipping sticks. The application for this stick is going to be yak and shore fishing rivers of 30' + foot width using mostly small jerkbaits with 2-4lb flourocarbon. Are there any blanks that you guys can recommend that would be of similar ratings and within the $40-$60 range? Thanks

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: MHX S841

Post by Mattman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:21 am

Given that the MHX's are Loomis clones...I'd question whether or not you would like this blank. It is going to be very light. An outstanding Panfish UL.

If you're chasing Panfish with lures truly in this rods lure range, it'll be great. Personally, I'd hesitate using it for anything else.

I built the S781 shortly after Loomis made the announcement they were ceasing blank sales. Its the 3rd lightest power blank I've ever built on. The NFC FW 461-1 and the Croix 59ULF are the only two blanks that were lighter.

And regardless of its listed rating, it is also the fastest out of the 3.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:43 am

What then would you recommend? I certainly do not want a noodle with this rod, I already have that.

Kaleb

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:45 am

What lures are you fishing?

How much cover are you fishing in/around?

What fish are you targeting?
Matt Davis

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Very little cover, mostly rocks. Lures most commonly used are Megabass x-55, rapala f5,f7 and the occasional 1/8oz spoon. Species targeted would be trout firstly and smallmouth second.

Kaleb

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:16 am

I personally thing the S842 would be a better option (if they make one). I have the Loomis S842 and its my Crappie and Walleye slip bobber rod.

The St. Croix LF would be another option.

While the 1 and the ULF are undoubtedly lighter in power and can toss tiny baits, they have trouble handling good sized fish in my opinion.
Matt Davis

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:47 am

Mattman wrote:I personally thing the S842 would be a better option (if they make one). I have the Loomis S842 and its my Crappie and Walleye slip bobber rod.

The St. Croix LF would be another option.

While the 1 and the ULF are undoubtedly lighter in power and can toss tiny baits, they have trouble handling good sized fish in my opinion.
I recently built a MHX S782 and previously used a St Croix PS66LF(I also have a PS60LF my son uses) for very similar techs. on small streams for smaller sized smallies. Both are spinning though. Personally I wouldn't want any lighter than these 2 rods. The MHX do come in a S842 btw.

Matt