Need a rod for an Airy Red Pixy?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Need a rod for an Airy Red Pixy?

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:09 pm

I am struggling to find a rod for my Daiwa Airy Red Pixzilla. I have not tried to a custom rod before but am intrigued if I can find a suitable match. I would really like a 6'10" MXF rod split grip with EVA and Fuji SK2 reel seat and lastly micro guides preferably Fuji but I don't know who all makes micros and whose are the best/lightest. I cannot find a blank that is a 6'10"MXF preferably 1/16th or 1/8th lure weight on the low end. Can anyone tell me if they make such a beast and how much someone would charge for that? I would prefer not Loomis if possible. They are owned by Shimano and a Daiwa reel on a Shimano rod is sacrilegious IMO. Thanks.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Need a rod for an Airy Red Pixy?

Post by Mattman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:10 am

Finnz922 wrote:I would prefer not Loomis if possible. They are owned by Shimano and a Daiwa reel on a Shimano rod is sacrilegious IMO. Thanks.
Loomis quit selling blanks to custom builders in 2009. All that is left now has been picked over pretty hard.

Finnz922 wrote: lastly micro guides preferably Fuji but I don't know who all makes micros and whose are the best/lightest.
When you're talking micro guides and the lightest possible...you're splitting hairs. Personally, I'm a Fuji fan. Kigan has developed a following. And there are a couple others in the mix with micros. Titanium frames and SiC ceramic are going to produce the absolute lightest (ceramic) guide.

Finnz922 wrote: I cannot find a blank that is a 6'10"MXF preferably 1/16th or 1/8th lure weight on the low end.
Probably not. Most rods rated for "Medium" power are probably going to max out at 1/2 or 5/8 ounce. And rating down to 1/16 is probably a real stretch to find a blank that will do each end of that range.
Finnz922 wrote: Can anyone tell me if they make such a beast and how much someone would charge for that?
You'll probably get a wide range of prices depending on your builder and their skill level. And with the components you choose. A high end blank with high end guides and a bunch of bling from a top notch builder is probably going to be over $500. A low end blank with low end guides and very plain Jane from a rookie builder could be in the low $200 range.

I've done a fair number of rods for Pixys. Red, Orange and Yellow. The blank choices varied greatly. The lightest I can recall is a blank rated for 1/16 - 5/16 ounces and the heaviest one rated to 5/8. I'd say the lighter ratings were what was built most often.

I think St. Croix's 69MLXF is a really good option for something in the middle of your ranges.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:30 am

thanks i will keep that in mind

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:39 pm

The MHX HM-DS822 will do it. The ratings are 1/4 to 3/8 but it will go down to 1/8oz baits well.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... Rod-Blanks

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:22 am

stcroix 5c610mxf 1/8 lure rating which is gonna be as close as u are gonna get with a true medium power

andrey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by andrey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Tokugawa wrote:The MHX HM-DS822 will do it. The ratings are 1/4 to 3/8 but it will go down to 1/8oz baits well.

this blank looks very appealing to me, i have a silver pixy and will possibly be searching a custom for it. is this blank durable? looks like they have it on sale. if i were to put top components and not so much bling how much will it run me? feel free to pm me!

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:25 pm

andrey wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:The MHX HM-DS822 will do it. The ratings are 1/4 to 3/8 but it will go down to 1/8oz baits well.

this blank looks very appealing to me, i have a silver pixy and will possibly be searching a custom for it. is this blank durable? looks like they have it on sale. if i were to put top components and not so much bling how much will it run me? feel free to pm me!
I just got it, so I can't comment on durability. I had mine built, so the cost will depend on who does it and what exact components you get.

The Batson RX8 XSB822.5 or the RX8+S822.5 would work nicely also. The TiCH finish on the RX8 blanks is really attractive.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Tokugawa wrote:

The Batson RX8 XSB822.5 or the RX8+S822.5 would work nicely also.

The Croix 69MLXF puts up nearly identical numbers to the 822.5.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

andrey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by andrey » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Mattman wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:

The Batson RX8 XSB822.5 or the RX8+S822.5 would work nicely also.

The Croix 69MLXF puts up nearly identical numbers to the 822.5.
can you give me an idea of how much it will run to build one of those blanks with the best components but not a lot of flash for the silver pixy Mattman?

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:43 am

Phenix's UMBX spinning blanks in the 7'0 L or 7"0 M would work as well. The S700L (cut to 6'10) built as a casting rod replaced my SC 69MLXF casting rod and I never looked back. Depending where you look up the specs they are rated fast or Xfast but from owning 2 these rods I'd have to say they are more xfast then fast , but I never ran any numbers on these blanks. I have my airy red pixy on the UMBX S700L too!

If money isn't an option you may want to look at the phenix T46/K2 683 ML-C and have it extended 2" to 6'10. It's rated as fast action, but some of the chatter on these blanks have mentioned that they are very fast for "fast" action blanks.

Fisherboy
Angler
Angler

Post by Fisherboy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:09 am

You are looking for either a Lamiglas LP843 or LP844. The LP843 will have a slight advantage with the lighter baits and the LP844 has significantly more backbone.

I use a LP844 mainly for 1/8ounce t-rigs / jigs and as a Dog-X rod. It's perfectly suited for either.