Duckett Guide Repair

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Duckett Guide Repair

Post by Bass Junkie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:17 pm

I am in the middle of replacing a guide on a Duckett Casting rod, and am needing to remove the epoxy from the thread wraps.... What would you guys suggest for this? I don't want to hurt the color or integrity of the blank, but need to remove the epoxy in order to re-apply thread wraps. Thanks for your help!
Bass Junkie

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Duckett Guide Repair

Post by bstuckey » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Bass Junkie, I'd recommend posting this question in the Custom Rods section. Some of the finest custom rod builders and very knowledgeable builders contribute to this forum and I know the can advise you of the best and safest way to do your repair.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:40 pm

Advice headed. Thank you very much... I wasn't sure exactly where to put it, and in my mind it fit under maintenance..... Must be smelling too much PowerBait :roll: Thanks!
Bass Junkie

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Moved thread with shadow in original location.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Razor blade, I just use the old replaceable straight razor blades. Just be careful, but once you get below the thread most of the finish should come off pretty easily. Then once the thread finish is off I just clean the blank with alcohol and then a jewelry polishing cloth. Last rewrap.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:13 am

I use an alcohol torch and warm the wrap up. Then I take an X-Acto knife and slice the threads off the wrap on top of the guide foot. I cut from the tip of the foot to the guide frame. That way if anything slips, I won't slice the blank and I'll hit the guide frame. Then I pop the guide out of the wrap. I grab the wrap that has been sliced and peel it off the blank in one big chunk. Then I warm the wrap again and unwind the thread. Finally, I scrape the left over epoxy off with my X-Acto. Use something more blunt if you're not comfortable with a knife.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:45 am

take a look at fuji catalogue, it is well explained,

http://www.fujitackle.com/catalog/pdf/rod02-19.pdf

use a cutter or a razor blade , remove the wrapping over the foot of the guide and then with a phon or a torch( be very carefull) and a credit card or a nail you must remiove the excess of wrapping and epoxy. rewrap the new guide and you are ok.
you need to use a motor to roll blank while epoxy is curing , to avoid epoxy dropping.
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!