casting rod handle length?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
centurion
Angler
Angler

casting rod handle length?

Post by centurion » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Hello, I know there isn't a standart, but what do you think about longer/shorter handles if we are talking about 7' M or MH casting rod. I see that most of the manufacturers are building about 9 to 10 inches, do you agree with them?

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: casting rod handle length?

Post by robertrinaustin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:19 pm

What's the rod going to be used for?

Rovic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Rovic » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Thyere are variables that need to be addressed. What is the rod going to be used for? How tall or long a fore arm does the owner have? How is he/she going to use the rod as each person is different?
When all those are answered then you will know how long the handle should be. Like you stated there is no standard.
Thats why it is custom.
Rolly
Rovic Custom Rods

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:17 pm

10" is a very good place to start for a 7' bass rod. shorter rods, i might shorten it up an inch... longer blanks i might do around 11

of course, then you get into the specialty stuff of jerkbait rods (really short handles, depending on the guys jerking style... wait that doesnt sound right), punching rods, and swimbait rods where the butt might be significantly longer.

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:24 pm

I would have to say 10 inches is standard on a 7 ftr also.9 would be fine if the blank is light and you intend to twitch alot with that rod.It really depends on what you intend to use it for.If you 2 hand roll cast alot,I would never go shorter than 9 inches.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Most of the rods I do wind up between 9" and 10". But...as others have pointed out...rod length, rod use, personal taste, etc, all play a role.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Fisherboy
Angler
Angler

Post by Fisherboy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:24 am

9.5 to 10 seems to be standard.

Just about all of my rods have a 10.5" handle -- that's the way I like them. The only exceptions are by poping rod (shorter), close-quaters combat rod (shorter), frog rod (longer) and one cranking rod (really long). If I had to guess, my 8-foot cranking rod has about a 16" handle. Just enough to tuck it under my arm and crank comfortably. If you are deep cranking all day, it's an arm saver.

That's the beauty of customs, if you don't like it, change it.

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:59 am

A lot depends on how you grip the reel and where it is on your forearm when fishing and fighting a fish. Lot is trial and error so I sugget you try several different lengths. I also like around 10" with 11" for a longer rod but swim bait rods are 14" or more so they can be tucked under your arm pit. All personal preference.