first turning project

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

first turning project

Post by RGMatt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:01 am

Picked up a small Jet lathe awhile back and finally got some time to glue up some cork and play around a bit. Just wish I wasn't so impatient and waited to order a KDPS locking hood to cover up those ugly threads, but other than that the handle feels great.
13386.jpg
13386.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
13547.jpg
13547.jpg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 4553 times

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: first turning project

Post by lpquick » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:25 am

I like it, your work is exceptional, thanks for sharing. =D> =D> =D>
Rods & Reels Excite me!

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:09 am

I like it! I'd take the reel off before I turned it though. :)

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:17 am

5bites wrote: I'd take the reel off before I turned it though. :)
:laugh1: you gotta have quick hands! :whistle:
lpquick wrote:I like it, your work is exceptional, thanks for sharing. =D> =D> =D>
5bites wrote:I like it! :)
thanks guys

Matt

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Please tell what model and accessories you bought to do this. I am in the process of finding a lathe for rod building and am a little confused as to how you attach a chuck to the tail piece to turn a mandrel.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:04 pm

The chuck goes on the head stock and a tapered live center goes on the tail stock.

A 3 jaw chuck is just fine for mandrels. But if you're going to turn reel seat inserts from blocks of stabilized wood or acrylic, a 4 jaw chuck is a much better option.

Make sure the chucks you buy have threading that matches your lathe. That can vary. Tapered live centers need to have the taper of the shaft match the inside taper of the tail stock. That can also vary.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 pm

I like mattmans answer :mrgreen: My buddy had similar advice on the chucks.

TBH I really don't know all that much about the different accessories for the lathe. I didn't even get any mandrels yet. I used some redneck engineering and used a cut piece of rod blank btween the live center and the spur center(pointy things :big grin: ). Actually worked much better than I expected. The lathe I got in trade for some work I did on a friends house. I don't think it was ever used. It's a Jet 10x14 mini lathe. I didn't look into accessories yet.

Mattman,
do you have any good sources for mandrels that fit the jet lathes? The taper in the manual says MT2. ?

Also what speeds do you like best for turning cork and EVA?

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:33 pm

So are you saying that I don't need a chuck on the tailstock? I was under the impression that I did. Would a mandrel have a countersink in the end to receive the tapered live center? For some reason I can't find any of this info :-k .

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:59 pm

the ones mudhole has have tapers on both ends.
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... g-Mandrels

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:27 am

I have two sets of Andy Dear's mandrels. I believe Roddancer is now the company.

I set the speed on my lathe years ago and haven't changed it. I honestly couldn't begin to tell you what it is.

Nope...you don't need a chuck on the tail stock. Live center. I also have a Jacobs chuck I can put on for boring. But the chuck for turning goes on the head.
Matt Davis

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:44 pm

I also own the JET mini lathe.George Roth suggested it,so I bought one.The stand was free with the purchase(better than a table top).I ordered the 3 jaw chuck from penn industries.I use 3 grits of sandpaper in about 1&1/2 inch strips to shape handles after I get the rough shape with a file.George sold me an extra 3 roller bracket that secures the blank on the opposite end.I use electrical tape to buffer the blank inside the 3 rollers.
I have a couple mandrels,but have yet to use them to shape eva,but with the quality of cork getting so bad,I believe I will be using eva and hypalon soon.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:30 pm

fshn4lmt wrote:I also own the JET mini lathe.George Roth suggested it,so I bought one.The stand was free with the purchase(better than a table top).I ordered the 3 jaw chuck from penn industries.I use 3 grits of sandpaper in about 1&1/2 inch strips to shape handles after I get the rough shape with a file.George sold me an extra 3 roller bracket that secures the blank on the opposite end.I use electrical tape to buffer the blank inside the 3 rollers.
I have a couple mandrels,but have yet to use them to shape eva,but with the quality of cork getting so bad,I believe I will be using eva and hypalon soon.
where did you get the mandrels? all the ones I've found online are too long for the mini lathe. I don't need or want the extension so I'd like to find some @ or under 14".

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:09 am

RGMatt wrote:
where did you get the mandrels? all the ones I've found online are too long for the mini lathe.
Talk to the distributor. I know that some of them will cut them down. When I ordered mine they actually asked what length I wanted.
Matt Davis

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:47 am

Mattman wrote:
RGMatt wrote:
where did you get the mandrels? all the ones I've found online are too long for the mini lathe.
Talk to the distributor. I know that some of them will cut them down. When I ordered mine they actually asked what length I wanted.
Thanks Matt!
RGMatt wrote: Mattman,
The taper in the manual says MT2. ?

?
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... -Chuck-2MT
did alittle more looking and looks like mudhole sells a chuck thats a direct fit for the Jet. #2 morse taper(MT2). I did some digging in the garage and found I also have a pen turning mandrel that came w/ the lathe I got. it has a #2 morse taper on one end and the inside of the other end is tapered to fit onto the live center of the taistock. It's not all that long and the dia. is small but it may work for short sections like foregrips and butt grips and even small rear grips for a split grip handle.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm not familiar with the Jet lathe you guys are talking about.

I have a full sized Rockwell wood lathe. The head is threaded and I need a chuck with threads on it. The lathe did not come with a chuck, it came with face plates and wood working spurs. I have since purchased these two chucks for my lathe for the headstock...

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCM18X.html

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CMG3C.html

I also have that same tapered Jacobs chuck for my tailstock. I'll chuck drill bits into it and use it to center bore turnings. Acutally I have both a 3/8" and a 1/2" chuck...

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TM32.html

I also purchased a live center as the lathe didn't have a LIVE center...

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTLT2.html
Matt Davis