Dblue SiC TiO guides?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Dblue SiC TiO guides?

Post by RGMatt » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:34 am

there was some talk/questions about these guides awhile back. I believe the crash deleted the thread on them. Anyway did anyone ever take the plunge and try them out. Durable? Price is cheap, but in my mind expectations are low. Are these ti coated?

TIA

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Dblue SiC TiO guides?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:54 am

I have a friend who builds rods and guides for muskies. He loves them and says the frames are way more durable than Fuji guides. He fishes 65-100 lb. braid and I haven't heard of a ring failure from him either. I don't know about whether there is a Ti coating on the rings, but I'll ask. TiO usually indicates that the rings are titanium oxide. It could be that the rings are titanium oxide andthen SiC-coated by the PVD method. Either way, he hasn't built a rod with anything but dblue guides (for personal use) in the past 2 years. I'll get back with you when I know something.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:37 pm

thanks for the info. They are described as having titanium frames but where I was confused was the TiO in the ad, which as you stated seems to refer to a coating from what I've seen w/ other guides.

So if these are truely durable titanium framed w/ SiC rings then the price is excellent.

thanks again
Matt

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:23 pm

By saying titanium oxide, I was referring to the ring inserts(I think he said they come with a SiC PVD coating). The frames on the guides that my friend has used are all stainless, according to him. I haven't been on that auction site in a while-maybe they do offer a titanium frame now. Not sure, but my buddy loves the Dblues on his musky rods-he says they are really tough.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:18 pm

yes, the ones I was refering to were advertised Titanium frames w/ SiC inserts. But in the ad they also used TiO which is what threw me alittle. I also saw they sell a TiO ringed guide.

thanks again
Matt