Custom Rogue 807:Help Choosing Guides, Seat & Cork

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Custom Rogue 807:Help Choosing Guides, Seat & Cork

Post by triple_illusion » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:06 am

i can't make up my mind what guides to get.....
I'm having an 807 rogue blank custom wrapped and i simply want the best components money can buy. i want the rod to be strong but light, my stock 807 makes me feel clumsy with big baits, I'm looking to build my blank 807 into a super-tuned version if you will.

as far as guides i know i want titanium frames but I'm not sure if i want SiC or Alconite inserts. it seems to me that the frames on SiC guides stick farther out than the ones on Alconite guides????? further, i am considering micro guides, but not necessarily small micro guides. i wonder if some of the bigger size micro guides would be worth considering in place of smaller size regular guides? catch my drift? this is gonna be a rod for big baits and i don't want it mismatched with teeny tiny guides, but i want the guides to be as small as possible for the lightest feel for the rod. i also want a lot of guides, and i want them to sit low to the blank.

i know i want a thin reel seat. i have an older version daiwa light n tough rod, it has a try comfy seat. do u guys know if fuji makes a seat like that? or perhaps another company?

also, im not sure if i want split grip cork or full cork, what do u all think? (probably that I'm crazy lol)

gracias mi amigos!
FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Custom Rogue 807:Help Choosing Guides, Seat & Cork

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:07 am

Certainly not crazy!

My 2 cents:

Guides
Go micro. I'd stick with SS/Alconites as there is no real benefit for Ti/SiC in micros. #25 Big Game is small enough to fit through a 3mm OD micro. I'd spiral them too.

Seat
That type of seat is custom to Daiwa as far as I know. As an option, a non-blank exposed ECS is good for maximum comfort. You are probably putting a bigger reel on it anyway.

Handle
Full grip...but in foam. A long grip in cork is going to be $$$...and the foam will be lighter too.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:22 am

why do you want a bunch of guides????

build the rod spiral wrapped, use mimimum amount of guides needed for line to follow the natural curve of the blank, and use KTAG-4 guides or try some of the kigans. SS vs Ti framed doesnt really matter for micros

i would stick with the tried and true ECSM reel seat

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:27 pm

I'd encourage you not to over think this too much. I'd go micro guides for sure and I'd use whatever brand you like. I prefer the Kigan size 4s because the foot is a little longer and very easy to wrap and you can get some great insert colors. If you want to dress up the rod, go with some of the colored inserts and get some winding checks to match. I just did a slop rod with Kigan's blue zirconium inserts and blue Fuji trim rings to match a Pflueger reel that was blue. Spiral the guides if you like or all on top, but whatever you decide, don't use too many. In spite of what nonsense some of the rod companies put out there, more guides will not increase sensitivity and really serve no benefit. Full grip or split is up to you and where you put your hands. If you use the middle of the grip, build a full grip and if you don't split them.