guide angle

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

guide angle

Post by triple_illusion » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:31 am

what do u think about the new fuji guides that have a 30 degree angle forward? vs. the traditional 90 degree angles most rods have already?
FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: guide angle

Post by Katron » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Double foot or single, casting or spinning? I was under the impression that angled guides were nothing new.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:48 am

well in my conversations with anglers resource i was told that their latest and greatest guides are specifically angled forward at 30 degrees, single foot and double foot.....working on my first custom rod just trying to figure it all out
FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:58 am

Are you referring to the tangle free guides?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:10 am

Those would be the K guides. I think they would be better. With soft braids, it's quite easy to have it wrap around the 90 degree ones and no able to untangle itself.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:19 am

If they are the Ks, they are good for braid applications. No real purpose for rod that will not be used with braid.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:30 am

I have built a number of rods with the K series "tangle free" guides. They are decent guides for braid, flouro and mono. However, the "tangle free" principle really only applies to braid. IMO, there is no disadvantage to using the K series guides, except some cost and not being able to pack the wraps tight (if you do a locking wrap). The guides are stiff as well, stronger than a traditional single foot. (KTAG 6 vs BLAG 6). For that reason, i have switched my standard guide from the BLAG/CLAG series over to the KTAG.

You can get K series guides with a Ti frame and alconite insert, which helps a bit on cost. I believe the K series is still the only fuji line of guides that they sell with a Ti frame and alconite insert.

There are some previous threads:
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... ag#p227656

it is also worth noting that kigan is also making a similar tangle free design. The samples i have see have looked very promising
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... ag#p227656