Strip off a blank

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
floriano
Angler
Angler

Strip off a blank

Post by floriano » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:26 am

Hello ! :D

I've started to cut the reel seat, handle, winding check and guide thread on a spinning blank (8 feet, medium) that I want to rebuild casting, for trout fishing with crankbaits and minnows.

The problem is that this blank is painted. I'd like to strip off this paint but I don't know what to use : aceton ?
Or can I sand it (no risk,I've already dammage the blank with my dremel when I cut the reel seat...need to put a piece of another blank in the butt section) ?

Thanks !

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Strip off a blank

Post by RGMatt » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:27 pm

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=29040

While I didn't use the citristrip on the rod I mention in that thread I did use it on another rod which was a full strip down and rebuild. It worked well. I also very minimally wet sanded the bottom half of the blank w/ an 800 grit wet/dry sand paper. The rods been in use for a couple months now and put through the paces w/ out any problems

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:36 pm

I just used citristrip to strip 2 blanks tonight, stuff works great for me.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 am

Ryan808 wrote:I just used citristrip to strip 2 blanks tonight, stuff works great for me.
- Yes, the Citristrip works. I would try to scrape off as much paint as possible with a plastic/nylon putty knife or other sharp nylon tool. Sand as little as possible, particularly near the tip... if you remove graphite, you could quickly ruin the blank to the point where it could break much easier... most of the strength is in the outer layer. I think power = diameter cubed.

floriano
Angler
Angler

Post by floriano » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:19 am

That's the post I was looking for, RGMatt !

Thank you guys !