U-40 Perma Gloss

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

U-40 Perma Gloss

Post by daiwa lunatic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:10 am

Has anyone used U-40 Perma Gloss finish on their blanks, is this for finishing Rod blanks or use for color preserving the thread finish before putting flexcoat thread finish

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: U-40 Perma Gloss

Post by 5bites » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:56 am

It's a thread finish but takes many more coats than a two part finish. I've used it on thread like it was designed to be used and also as a clear coat on blanks and reel seats I've painted. It's a very clear and very hard durable finish.

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Is this similar to putting clear coat on a blank?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:59 am

Most guys I know that put it on blanks do so with a sponge and wipe it on in two long strokes.

It is not meant as a CP. It is meant as a thread finish. You need to use CP if you need to maintain your thread color.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 am

Sorry for the late reply.

Basically like Mattman said. I pour it in a cup, use the sponge type paint brush and dip it, then wipe down the blank, turn the blank 180 degrees and wipe down again. You can do another coat after it cures if you think it needs it. I have the blank stuck out horizontally with a long nail in the butt end of the blank supporting it. A wooden dowel clamped in a vise for support would probably be a better option though.

I hope this helps.

Fisherboy
Angler
Angler

Post by Fisherboy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Ditto above.

I prefer Aftcote (or Threadmaster in a pinch) for high-quality wraps, but Perma Gloss is the way to go for coating a blank. Perma gloss doesn't look nearly as good as other finishes for wraps, however, it's the most durable stuff you'll find and the only way to go to coat an entire blanks. I've used it with great success for threadless wraps too.

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Thank you guys for all the reply, I'll order one and try it out on a blank that I want to rewrapped, I want to try and experiment on rod that I have.