Custom 1 piece to match TSR rod?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Custom 1 piece to match TSR rod?

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Any recs out there for a blank that matches up well to the GLoomis TSR 862-2, but in one-piece?

I like the reviews on how the tip loads well and is fast (maybe even xfast) and crisp, while the backbone is a true light power and loads well while fighting a hooked fish.

Is there a blank out there that will compete with the TSR standard "fiber blend" and GLX blanks? I would like about the same ratings of 4-8lb test and 1/16 - 5/16 oz lures. I will use this rod for small minnows, jerkbaits, spoons and spinners up to the 5/16oz rating.

Thanks in advance.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Custom 1 piece to match TSR rod?

Post by Mattman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:41 pm

I've not measured up a TSR so I don't have a great handle on what they're like.

Check out the North Fork FW 702-1. 7', 4-8, 1/6-5/16, 1-piece, Ex-Fast.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:55 am

Hey Dragon, have you looked into the Phenix Elixer or Iron Feather blanks? There's some that come pretty close I think!
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 am

Mattman wrote:I've not measured up a TSR so I don't have a great handle on what they're like.Check out the North Fork FW 702-1. 7', 4-8, 1/6-5/16, 1-piece, Ex-Fast
Kool Matt...thanks! My guess is that a custom on the NFC FW 702-1 would be in the $400 + range, eh?
Vince Borges wrote:Hey Dragon, have you looked into the Phenix Elixer or Iron Feather blanks? There's some that come pretty close I think!
I believe the Iron Feather is closest...but that's a lot of ching for a rod that I can't handle AND there are very few reviews of the Iron Feather as well, especially in comparison to the TSRs.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."