Handle Options??

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Handle Options??

Post by white03 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:32 pm

Hey guys

Got a new Phenix blank coming and looking for handle options? Usually go with the standard 10" cork handle, bore it out and glue it on, nothing fancy. What ideas do you have for a handle, given that I want to buy and install it, not build it??? thank you

As an alternative, do you know where you can buy custom handles ready to install?
Bill

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Handle Options??

Post by Mattman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 am

white03 wrote:
As an alternative, do you know where you can buy custom handles ready to install?
You could always contact a custom rod builder to do a custom grip for you. I'm sure there would be a few that wouldn't want to mess with such a small project. But I would guess a fair number would be happy to do custom grips.

I don't recall who...but one of the sponsors over at "dot org" makes custom carbon skinned grips for people.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:17 am

The Mudhole CRB handle kits look decent, and would be a good match for the blank. Or you can get a different Matagi handle kit.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Call and talk to the guys at the rod building support from Mud Whole. Just decide what colors you want for trim rings and real seat options. Those kits come with non-blank exposed reel seats. If you have the reamers to do the cork than try one of the new fuji SK2 seats or just PM me and I will help you pick out everything.(not for $ of coarse) just to help. if you bought the whole SK2 fuji system split grip handles in eva, winding checks, and reel seat your only out $22-$28 + shipping and it is not that hard to do. Using cork would add quite a bit more if you are being budget minded.