MHX HM blanks?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

MHX HM blanks?

Post by falcon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:54 pm

I know many of you jumped on these when they became available. Many of you posted pics of your builds and how you felt about the blanks after initailly owning or fishing for the first time. Im assuming many of you rod builders have built a few of these blanks now as well.

Now that some time has past what is your current view of these blanks and your builds? What model do you have and what would you compare the blanks too performance wise?

Quality
Sensitivity
True to spec
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: MHX HM blanks?

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:08 am

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... ilit=tanto

After living with it for a while, I think the HM MHX blanks join the top of the heap. I don't like to say there is one blank company that is the best, as they all have blanks that are better than others.

Quality - I have zero issues with the blank. It was one of the lightest blanks available in that power and length.
Sensitivity - subjective alert - but very, very sensitive. Certainly not a dead stick.
True to spec - Yup...and it does not sacrifice power to get the weight down. This is an important aspect.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 pm

I would of swore more people purchased these blanks
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:35 pm

I've got to agree with Tokugawa on all points. I've only built two so far, but both blanks were spot on.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:55 am

I also agree with what has been said mostly. The 844 I built felt at least half a power less especially in the mid section. I couldn't really tell it until I was fighting a fish and was wishing for a little more power. I've heard the same from other mhx blanks.