Phenix Glass rods?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Phenix Glass rods?

Post by KlingerNOK » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:07 pm

I am thinking about getting a new rod built and am looking at the new Phenix XG-2 blank. I currently have a couple custom Lamiglas MB841E's and love them. Has anyone handled the glass Phenix rods or blanks? How do they compare to the Lami's? What type of glass are they ?
Thanks!

Iowa Matt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Phenix Glass rods?

Post by Iowa Matt » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:06 am

Me too! I'm gonna build a medium cranker and a small cranker this winter and I want to know about the Phenix glass blanks. I have a blank for the medium cranker waiting in the basement.........but I am interested in the lighter Phenix glass blanks for a small crank rod.

Thanks

Matt

Rod Wynn
Angler
Angler

Post by Rod Wynn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:40 pm

I have fished the Phenix Glass Rods and I love them.. The 1st thing is that you have to be someone who likes to throw glass rods. Once you are on that page I am sure that the Phenix Rods' version will suit your needs.
My favorite thing about the Phenix Glass Rods are that they are not to soft but soft enough that you still get that good glass feel when fishing them.
I prefer a glass rod in most cases when throwing reaction baits like blades, cranks, chatter baits and such because you can cast them a mile with the Phenix glass rods and they are ultra sensitive so that you can still feel every little bump, rock or tree that your bait comes in contact with. Yet still have enough backbone to get good hook penetration and ability to fish heavier baits..
Hope that helps..

Rod Wynn
Angler
Angler

Post by Rod Wynn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Also on that note, here is a video of me catching a 5.5 on the glass rod..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP86fuvM ... ature=plcp

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:21 pm

The Seeker and Lamiglas BLOW the Phenix away.If you are used to an mb841e,then dont order the Phenix,unless you get the x10 or the x12.The X10/x12 are composites,and not as slow or moderate as glass,but in my opinion the only good cranking sticks that Phenix makes.I have been a builder for 8 years,and the Seeker is still the benchmark with the lamiglas right behind.The phenix Glass rods are HEAVY,especially the longest one.The 7ft 4 isnt too bad,but still nowhere near a Seeker or Lamiglas.I dont care whether its red or brown I have had them both............no good.The x10/x12 are Sweeeeeet though!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:38 pm

I had a Seeker BS706 built spiral wrapped several years ago by Brad Tharpe (the now infamous rod builder) and this rod fished 3/8oz - 3/4oz deep slow-rolled spinnerbaits beautifully. I wanted a longer graphite rod and went with some different blanks; but the Seeker S Glass is a great blank line-up.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Fisherboy
Angler
Angler

Post by Fisherboy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:45 pm

I would be hardpressed to give up my Lamiglas composite crankers. I ditched a Seeker a long time ago, just didn't have the feel that I prefer. I do have a Shikari (model unknown) that I extended to 8-foot. Very similar to the Lamiglas.

When Lamiglas discontiued the previous models, I was able to pick the up for $35 a piece. So that was an extra bargin.