Seeking custom spinning rod handle pics

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Seeking custom spinning rod handle pics

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 am

I use the Aero seat with threads uplocking
Attachments
Aero Split Grip 2a.jpg
Aero Split Grip 2a.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
Aero Split Grip 1a.jpg
Aero Split Grip 1a.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 5335 times

mhr650
Angler
Angler

Post by mhr650 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 am

I like a split Tennessee grip made from rigid foam core and a carbon fiber skin. That way you can shape the grip to taper down to a smooth transition to the blank at the ends, this is by far the most comfortable spinning handle I have ever used. Once you get serious about weight and start weighing everything you will be shocked how heavy a spinning reel seat is, I built a 6 foot ultralight on a StCroix blank with the carbon Tennessee handle where the whole completed rod weighed less than a standard spinning reel seat.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/photopost/sh ... le/cat/all

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:27 am

mhr650 wrote:I built a 6 foot ultralight on a StCroix blank with the carbon Tennessee handle where the whole completed rod weighed less than a standard spinning reel seat.

your completed rod was less than .8 oz? .8 oz is around what a dpsm-16 weighs.

I DO agree that most standard spinning seats are VERY heavy as a percentage of a total rod weight! The blingy seats are the worst offenders!

rglabach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rglabach » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:19 am

MikeK wrote:I use the Aero seat with threads uplocking

The Aero seat design is great - I just wish they made them in larger sizes. They are too small for my hand.

savacs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by savacs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Here are a few bling y ones:)

http://asavacustom.com/galerie/legend-5s66mlf-tema-gold
http://asavacustom.com/galerie/lamiglas ... e-spinning
http://asavacustom.com/galerie/sc3-ligh ... iban-clean

This one is less bling,and more orientated towards minimalism:
http://asavacustom.com/galerie/spinning ... ai-minimal

Extra bling on this one :)
http://asavacustom.com/galerie/scv-5s68xf-prelungit

I prefer comfortable instead of extreme minimal builds, which in the end are not very comfy, and to top it out, if you don't like a tip heavy rod, you'll end up balancing it almost every time (except the times you have the lightest blanks available $$$$$ and titanium guides).
A.SAVA-custom rods.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 pm

savacs wrote:I prefer comfortable instead of extreme minimal builds, which in the end are not very comfy,
DISAGREE!!!! if your minimal builds arent comfy, you are doing something wrong! :)

very nice looking rods, BTW. You have some tasteful color choices!

savacs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by savacs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:55 pm

I give you a few examples.... (I only talking about spinning rods here)

If you use lighter rods, especially for trout fishing... the minimal fore grip is very uncomfortable especially when you need to cast with one hand, and almost impossible to make very precise casts for a long period of time . What I've noticed... is that JDM trout rods, all have quite hefty foregrips, just for that reason.

You won't feel this comfort issue on a thicker blank for e.g., but a rod with a bit more of a fore grip (in my subjective opinion) is always much more comfortable. And if the rod is well built the gain in sensitivity from touching the blank (in the very short foregrip) is about ZERO :D.

As many times as I've tried the skeleton spinning reel seats... as many times I've found out how uncomfortable they are (not considering blanks that are almost the same thickness as the ID of the reel seat).

And regarding the extreme minimal rear split grip, if you don't use TiSiC guides, and high quality(meaning very expensive, and light) blanks, you'll probably end up with a very tip heavy rod, that'll need some balancing if you intend of fishing it comfortably.... if you chose not to balance it in order to have the lightest rod you've ever had the tip heavy experience always gets uncomfortable after a few hours of fishing...

P.S1. I'm talking about spinning rods, where the guides are much heavier than the guides you normally use on a casting outfit.

P.S2. I agree with, and like minimal approach on a casting rod though..... a whole different ball game...
A.SAVA-custom rods.

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:14 pm

I was debating one day how to build the grips on a Fuji SKSS and decided not to put any grips and its actually is the most comfortable spinning rod I fish. Also heres another with a Pac bay Minima seat.
Attachments
Pic 2.JPG
Pic 2.JPG (32.53 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
Pic 1.JPG
Pic 1.JPG (51.34 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
IMAG0267 2.jpg
IMAG0267 2.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
IMAG0266.jpg
IMAG0266.jpg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 5291 times

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:47 pm

you can have them split skeleton spinning seats..... "hand crampers" IMHO......

I always liked the feel of the cumara's handle design so I tried a few designs to somewhat mimic them but raised the reel seat insert more to give more palm support or a slight "palm swell". Really seems to help the fishing/tennis elbow too BTW. I've come to prefer a 3/4" foregrip and a 2" butt split grip on all my bass rods.

the first pic is not glued up yet and needs alittle fine tuning on the lathe. The second is a standard fuji reel seat w/ eva glued on top between the hoods for that raised feel.
42287.jpg
42287.jpg (71.74 KiB) Viewed 5282 times
24640.jpg
24640.jpg (84.47 KiB) Viewed 5282 times

savacs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by savacs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:23 am

That's great Matt... I like something to fill my palm as well. The cork version is inspiring... I'm already thinking a new project :roll: :roll:

The empty space between pieces of a skeleton type of reel seat .... NOT FOR ME...
A.SAVA-custom rods.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:44 am

Just happend to be looking around and I think I have something interesting.

Now I didn't build it, it isn't even a very nice rod but I really like the design on the handle and reel seat.

It's off a Berkely amp, if you want the reel seat it will cost you a whole $20 for the rod. Minus the cork handle/reel nut it is actually pretty sturdy. It's my cheapest rod but it gets the most compliments...
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

mhr650
Angler
Angler

Post by mhr650 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:45 pm

jimmyb wrote:
mhr650 wrote:I built a 6 foot ultralight on a StCroix blank with the carbon Tennessee handle where the whole completed rod weighed less than a standard spinning reel seat.

your completed rod was less than .8 oz? .8 oz is around what a dpsm-16 weighs.

I DO agree that most standard spinning seats are VERY heavy as a percentage of a total rod weight! The blingy seats are the worst offenders!
Complete rod was 1.2oz, and I guarantee that the smooth ergonomically shaped carbon fiber handle is more comfortable than any reel seat on the market. Plus you can vary the diameter to make it exactly the best size for the customer.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 am

mhr650 wrote:Complete rod was 1.2oz, and I guarantee that the smooth ergonomically shaped carbon fiber handle is more comfortable than any reel seat on the market. Plus you can vary the diameter to make it exactly the best size for the customer.
impressive! I agree about the smooth carbon fiber handle!

rglabach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rglabach » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:33 am

[Complete rod was 1.2oz, and I guarantee that the smooth ergonomically shaped carbon fiber handle is more comfortable than any reel seat on the market. Plus you can vary the diameter to make it exactly the best size for the customer.[/quote]

Is your CF handle completely rounded, or do you form a slight depression to house and align the reel foot?