Guide insert replacement?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Guide insert replacement?

Post by aqua71 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:48 am

I recently chipped the insert on one of my rod guides. It’s chipped pretty bad and must be replaced. Not sure if it matters, but it’s a Fuji Aconite guide.

Anyway, I have some spare guides laying around and I have one that matches exactly so I was wondering if I could swap the old insert with a new one. If so, I’m assuming it’s anchored in place by glue. If that’s the case, what would be the proper way to remove it?

I realize I could have a new guide wrapped on but the nearest rod repair facility is 30+ miles away, so I'd rather avoid that option if possible. Thanks!

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Guide insert replacement?

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed May 16, 2012 9:57 am

The normal repair for that is to replace the whole guide.

panyafish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panyafish » Wed May 16, 2012 11:08 pm

It's definitely better to re-wrap a new guide on--it's easier and stronger than trying to glue in an insert. However, if you can get the alconite ring out of your spare guide without cracking it you can superglue it on and it should hold up nicely. I've done it before with an SIC insert that popped out of its frame.

Getting the alconite ring out without cracking it is going to be difficult since they are so thin. If you are handy with a dremel you might cut the frame and pop the ring out.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed May 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Use epoxy not glue, if you are able to get the new ring out of the guide without damaging it, good luck.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu May 17, 2012 4:29 am

Replace the entire guide
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Thu May 17, 2012 4:47 am

Mattman wrote:Replace the entire guide
X2

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Fri May 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Try it. What's the worst that can happen? (You ruin the spare, or you successfully swap out the insert and it fails tomorrow) You'll be no worse off, you'll still have to swap out the entire guide. I would think that epoxy would be stronger than super glue but I don't have any real evidence to support that thought.

I suppose you could argue that tomorrow you might be fighting the biggest fish of your life and the ring will pop out and the frame will cut your line. :lol: I wouldn't bet on it though. I'm optimistic, but not THAT optimistic.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:53 pm

smalliesteve wrote:Try it. What's the worst that can happen? (You ruin the spare, or you successfully swap out the insert and it fails tomorrow) You'll be no worse off, you'll still have to swap out the entire guide. I would think that epoxy would be stronger than super glue but I don't have any real evidence to support that thought.
My thoughts exactly.....

I appreciate everyone's input.

panyafish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by panyafish » Sat May 19, 2012 2:07 am

I suggested superglue because it's thin enough to wick along ther inside where the frame and ring touch. I had trouble getting epoxy into the contact area between the frame and the guide when I first tried this, it would peel off once it hardened and the ring popped right out. Also, superglue will actually bond the ring to the metal.