Spiral wrapped rod question?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spiral wrapped rod question?

Post by LPFC » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:33 pm

What advantage do you have with such a rod?

Doesn't the spiral wrap sort of weaken the rod? I've built a few rods, by far I'm no expert, but I was taught that the eyes have to be placed on the "spine". I'm just talking about a bait casting rod.

I'm starting to think about winter projects and I think i"m going to build a nice rod. Spiral wrap sounds interesting but I'm concerned about the strength.

Also how do you place the eyes according to the spine?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Tony

After posting this question I see at the verrrrrry top of this section, SPIRAL WRAP setup, :doh: to myself.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Spiral wrapped rod question?

Post by Mattman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:55 pm

LPFC wrote: What advantage do you have with such a rod?
Benefits to spiral wrapping as I see it…
1. Eliminate rod torque. With the guides on the bottom the pressure from the fish isn’t trying to spin the guides to the underside of the blank because they are already there and there is no twisting torque applied to the blank.
2. Eliminate line scrub. With a guides on top rod when you flex the rod the line can then touch the blank.
3. Reduction in weight. With a spiral wrap since line scrub isn’t an issue, fewer guides can be used. That helps with weight. With a spiral wrap single foot guides can be used even on the heaviest rods since there is no side pressure on the guides. The loss of an extra foot, thread and finish is a big help with the reduction in weight.

A reduction in weight (fewer guides, fewer guide feet, fewer wraps) is going to aid in sensitivity. All of those things add some encumbrance to the blank and reduce its efficiency in transmitting vibration.

LPFC wrote:
Doesn't the spiral wrap sort of weaken the rod?
Absolutely not. The heavier the fish, the more appropriate a spiral wrap is.

LPFC wrote:
I've built a few rods, by far I'm no expert, but I was taught that the eyes have to be placed on the "spine".
Also how do you place the eyes according to the spine?
Many ignore the spine and build on the straightest axis. Those that build on the spine use it in different ways depending on the primary focus. Putting the relaxed curve to the under side for a slightly better tip action. Etc.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Thank you Matt

After reading your replys and the Post in this area, are spiral wrapped rod better for bottom baits? Like jigs and worms?

I'm mostly a topwater and squarebill guy. It's very shallow were I fish.

Thanks

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 am

LPFC wrote: are spiral wrapped rod better for bottom baits? Like jigs and worms?

I see guys talk about not wanting a spiral wrap because of how they hold the rod when they're cranking, or some such other thing, and that doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, in a tip down situation it would make more sense for the guides and tip to be on the top side of the blank. And for a tip up situation for them to be on the under side of the blank. But the forces imparted on your blank from lure manipulation are insignificant in comparison to the forces while fighting a fish. That's where you need good distribution, not while working a lure.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Nektarios
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nektarios » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 am

By no means am I a pro rod builder but I have built two rods for cranks, two for flipping and one for slop fishing and all done with spirals and micros.

I like the spirals, keeps the line off the blank and I love to keep the rod tip high when fighting fish.

I have not seen any reduction in casting distance with the spiral either. I am pretty sure any future baitcast rods I build will be spirals.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:48 pm

After fishing only conventional wraps until I built a rod with spiral wrapped micros I can tell you I won't build a rod with conventional wrap or guides. It literally transforms the feeling of a rod into something comfortable and crisp. I believe it also casts smoother, but that might just be my imagination.
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:33 am

I have been building spirals since 1980 . To me they ARE a conventional wrapped rod. They make sense, they definitely work, and if you want a true custom their should be no other option. After all the years they have been built I really don't understand the resistance, to me its just foolishness.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:14 pm

IMO, knot connections also pass easier with the tip guide facing downward. About the only drawback to spiral wrapping is that this design tends to "tangle" more in a rod locker.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Tm Customs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tm Customs » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:14 pm

The only conventional wraps I have done so far are for other people spiral wrap is the way to go!!!
Please check out my YouTube Videos Tmcustoms87

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:00 pm

dragon1 wrote:About the only drawback to spiral wrapping is that this design tends to "tangle" more in a rod locker.
Get yourself some Stick Jacket style rod condoms. They make rod lockers a cinch.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Bigs|ick wrote:
dragon1 wrote:About the only drawback to spiral wrapping is that this design tends to "tangle" more in a rod locker.
Get yourself some Stick Jacket style rod condoms. They make rod lockers a cinch.
They make rod condoms too? :lol: Thought their specialty were the rod sleeves? :big grin:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."