First guide backards on a spinning rod?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

First guide backards on a spinning rod?

Post by cjtoad » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Just watched the latest VLOG on TW and the Megabass rod Aaron Martens was using (Orochi X4 6'10" med/light) had the first guide backards. I'm not the biggest spinning enthusiat but I just ordered another Fuego 1000 and will be making a new rod for it, probably a 7' light. Is there any benefit to reversing the first guide or is it just for looks?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: First guide backards on a spinning rod?

Post by Mattman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 am

I believe its just a look.

Not that I have issues with line wrap, especially next to the reel, but a backwards butt guide would make line wrap even worse in my opinion.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:26 am

If you really want to split hairs, it's worse. Flipping the guide puts the guide foot farther from the handle, which increases the effects of it's weight. Of course we're talking about a 0.0001% difference, but from what I've read on this site, that's enough. :lol: :lol:

I agree with what Mattman said regarding line wrap. When flipped the angle of the guide will pull line loops toward the blank instead of shedding them.

I can't think of any other effects, and clearly the weight thing was already a stretch...

ipoppa33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ipoppa33 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:13 am

Pretty sure it's a marketing thing. You could always mock up the guides and test cast it both ways to see if you like it.