Trolling Rod for Muskies

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
FishinFreaks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Trolling Rod for Muskies

Post by FishinFreaks » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:05 pm

Looking for recommendations on a trolling rod for muskies. We're trolling 10-14" jakes for muskies. They're big. I tried a Phenix 707MH swim bait blank last year. It's actually too stout. It needs to have more give for bouncing off rocks and whatever else we hit.

Any suggestions? Mattman?

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Trolling Rod for Muskies

Post by Bigs|ick » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:56 am

Get something big and fiberglassy, they just take the beating better than graphite. In my opinion i'd never spend my time building a rod that is going to sit in a downeast rod holder all day getting beat up. Just buy a factory rod for this and save your time to build a custom for casting.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Trolling Rod for Muskies

Post by Mattman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:31 am

Sorry...I didn't have any suggestions at the top of my head when you posted this and then spaced it out entirely...

I typically don't use glass at all. I just hate how heavy and how soft it is. I typically go with the lowest grade graphite I can for a trolling stick. Just like with the rest of my trolling I want a more firm rod. I frequently hold my rods while trolling and pump them really hard. Glass doesn't do a good job here, for me. Even up on the shield.

Take a look at Lamiglas' Tri-Flex series. I built on one of those a few years back and it felt like something that would work here.