can u cut an nrx to 6'?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

can u cut an nrx to 6'?

Post by triple_illusion » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:44 pm

suppose i buy an nrx rod (803c) and have a rod maker totally strip it and cut it to 6 feet. then rebuild it with custom components. would the rod still "work?" would it still feel good or would it feel ruined? its all speculation now but i might do it.....the goal is to have the feel of a 723 glx, but only with an nrx blank so its slightly better and only 6 feet long....and yes i am totally crazy lol!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: can u cut an nrx to 6'?

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 pm

as long as you're taking the 8" off the back, why not?

but for the price you're paying for the blank, I'd look to other sources like the Phenix K2 or Legend Elite blanks.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Crazy! :-k LOL Cal was thinking the same thing as I was! You can get a Phenix K2 683 or 684. Have it cut down and built out the way you want it for about the same cost as the NRX new! Why spend that much money on an NRX only to have to spend another $200-300.00 to make it the way you want! ](*,)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Vince Borges wrote: Cal was thinking the same thing as I was!
um yeah... don't get used to it dude 8-)

:lol:

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:15 am

Sure its possible

In my opinion, totally not worth it. Cost of the rod, cost of the labor to strip, cost of the materials to rebuild, cost of the labor to rebuild. Plus your loss of warranty.

Cutting a blank makes it slower in action. Depending on how much you cut, you can certainly go from a Fast action to a Mod-Fast action. Additionally, with the cutting of the butt you wind up with less deep power.

Its really only worth it if that blank is so unique you just can't find one elsewhere. In my opinion.

There really isn't anything all that special about the NRX blanks. I know guys will tell you there is, but their viewpoint is really from the finished rod and not the blank. I've worked on several NRX's now and there isn't anything there that can't be had from several other blank manufacturers. Marketing hype and a rod redesign is why the NRX is where it is...not the blank.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:13 am

Mattman wrote:Sure its possible

In my opinion, totally not worth it. Cost of the rod, cost of the labor to strip, cost of the materials to rebuild, cost of the labor to rebuild. Plus your loss of warranty.

Cutting a blank makes it slower in action. Depending on how much you cut, you can certainly go from a Fast action to a Mod-Fast action. Additionally, with the cutting of the butt you wind up with less deep power.

Its really only worth it if that blank is so unique you just can't find one elsewhere. In my opinion.

There really isn't anything all that special about the NRX blanks. I know guys will tell you there is, but their viewpoint is really from the finished rod and not the blank. I've worked on several NRX's now and there isn't anything there that can't be had from several other blank manufacturers. Marketing hype and a rod redesign is why the NRX is where it is...not the blank.
Spot on. =D>

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Mattman wrote:... from several other blank manufacturers.
I forgot to add North Fork Composites... and I'm sure there are others I've forgotten too ;)

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:35 pm

cool thanks for all the great info guys! tight lines!

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Dude it's tackle tour! do it! do it! do it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob Balcombe
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bob Balcombe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 am

You do know NFC is a vary expensive blank to start cutting on. If you do no warranty. Not to say NFC is not a good blank. You may want to talk to Garry Loomis first he may have a blank to fit your needs. I sure would make sure you are experienced or have a experienced builder work on any blank you want to modify . I am not familiar with NRX blanks. Explain what are you looking to build and for what fish? You may want to look at Batson or Lamiglas blanks great bunch of people to work with
Good Wraps Bob

Bob Balcombe
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bob Balcombe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 am

The NRX is a G Loomis blank which is now owned by Shimano. Garry Loomis now owns North Fork Composites. They just design and build blanks, no rods
Shimano no longer makes blanks for custom rod builders just rods now. Personally I would never take a pre-made rod and modify it you well never be satisfied. Start with a blank and design it. your way That is just my Nickle of thoughts
Good Wraps Bob