Seeker React Pro blanks?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Seeker React Pro blanks?

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:06 pm

After racking my brain for several weeks between factory, JDM, pre-built customs etc., I am going to give the following blank a shot:

Seeker CSW 808 from their "Blue Lightning" series...Randall at Seeker shared with me that this is the same blank that they cut down to 7'6" for the Paul Elias ARig rod and handles 1-5oz well (the 8oz rating is optimistic per Randall).

http://www.seekerrods.com/wp-content/up ... ng-All.jpg

I am going to have this rod buit to 7'10" (down from the actual 8'2" length when rolled from Seeker) and use it for a myriad of baits from 1oz Buzzjets to Hudd 68s, Wooden Punker Jrs., Magnum Spooks, Bull Shad, Small Shellcracker, 2-3oz Pike/Musky Inlines and Spoons, and the like.

50lb braid, Z2020H + 20lb-ish leader round it out.

Anyone have any feedback or experience with this series of blanks? They look and sound very promising.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Seeker React Pro blanks?

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:42 am

I have one on build - will make sure to give a report back in the User Review Section for those interested in a big bait/swimbait rod with Seeker's new "military spec" SGlass/graphite sheet bottom blanks.

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 am

van,

that blank seems like it should work for what u have planned but what is the weight of that blank? them seeker blanks sure have big butts, see the diameter of that thing? hope it works out for you..

jim moy
chicago,il

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Hello Jim, good to see a post from you, how are you and fam?

In so far as the weight, it is going to be only slightly heavier than other graphite based swimbait rods with the same power rating, and the same weight or less than graphite rods that have the same backbone lifting power. These blanks are thinner walled and do have a graphite paper/lateral scrim of some sort, but will have the tip flex and loading properties that will allow me to cast vs lob, the 3-5ish oz baits better than most comparable graphite blanks.

All of the above info is what I gathered after speaking with Randy at Seeker. I looked at/researched Phenix, MHX, Lamiglas, Batson and Calstar before choosing this blank, so I did some thorough research for sure.

With the minimalist build that I have asked for, the slightly shorter than standard rear length and a 7'10" overall length, I believe it will balance out exceptionally well with the Z2020H.

Hope to read ya more on the board!

Cheers,

-Van.

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:28 pm

van, we are all doing well, thanks. i don't post much, just lurking around most of the time.

i think in order to balance that blank out you would probably need an 11-12" full rear grip to tuck under your arm so that you don't tire out throwing them big baits. a short grip might make that rod very top heavy and wear you out.

KyLakeLunker
Angler
Angler

Post by KyLakeLunker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:25 pm

I've built one for a guy to use as a A-Rig rod. It's a nice blank. I did some custom grips and cobra skin on his build. The only thing, make sure you want a shorter grip. Even though you'll be using it a lot with the tip down, the longer grip will help with fatigue. I would recommend 12" or thereabouts. If it was a medium or shallow crank, I'd say go with 8"-9" or so grip, but you're going to be pulling a lot of weight with this rod so the longer handle would be a huge benefit.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Butt end to back of trigger was measured at 14.5"...this is about 3" longer than my prefered length for rods of about 7'6" or so, thus why I will have the butt cut back about 4" from the actual 8'2" length of this blank from factory.

I chose 7'10" as the numbers represent my the numbers associated with my birthdate...superstition in fishing as much as sports I suppose! :lol:

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:26 am

are you stuck on doing a glass blank????

KyLakeLunker
Angler
Angler

Post by KyLakeLunker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:06 am

You definitely like the blank. Learn how to do a pendulum cast (used for surf casting) using this blank and you'll be able to cast the A-rig to the knot.

Also, unless you don't mind losing a chunk of money, don't use a leader. Tie the braid straight to the A-rig. If the myriad of wires hanging from the bait don't bother the fish, neither will the braid tied directly to the bait.

Are you going micros on the rod or having it spiral wrapped?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:56 am

KyLakeLunker wrote:You definitely like the blank. Learn how to do a pendulum cast (used for surf casting) using this blank and you'll be able to cast the A-rig to the knot.Also, unless you don't mind losing a chunk of money, don't use a leader. Tie the braid straight to the A-rig. If the myriad of wires hanging from the bait don't bother the fish, neither will the braid tied directly to the bait. Are you going micros on the rod or having it spiral wrapped?
No ARig, or fancy Umbrella Rig for me...light - med swimbaits and other 1oz + baits. Sprial wrapped right, static build, SS SICs, running guides slighly bigger than micro, and a reinforced tip top. Pendulum cast I can do, but it is tough from shore with the obstacles.
jimmyb wrote:are you stuck on doing a glass blank????
I wouldn't say "stuck"...but I prefer a certain action for what I am planning this blank/rod for, in combo with the reel, braid and lures.

If you have a suggestion for what I built this blank for, I am open to it as I will likely have a second SB/heavy + powered moving bait rod built if I find I like the techs this one can do.

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:03 am

van,
you remember rich forhan and brad tharp back in the day? they use to build their swim bait rods with shikari back bounce blanks. i bought 6 of them from brad back then and still never built one. they used the bb804 and bb806 blanks and claimed that it had the perfect power and action for swimbaits.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 pm

jm529 wrote:van,
you remember rich forhan and brad tharp back in the day? they use to build their swim bait rods with shikari back bounce blanks. i bought 6 of them from brad back then and still never built one. they used the bb804 and bb806 blanks and claimed that it had the perfect power and action for swimbaits.
I agree...I don't know the composition of the Shikari BBs, but I imagine it has to be a blend/composite of some sort. Rich Forhan is still a top-notch builder, whereas Brad Tharpe from Tactical Bassin;...well, you know the story with him. :-k

Let me know if you would consider selling one to me, and what you think of these blanks?

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 pm

dragon1 wrote: If you have a suggestion for what I built this blank for, I am open to it as I will likely have a second SB/heavy + powered moving bait rod built if I find I like the techs this one can do.
st croix 4c710hf

the physical weight will be a lot less, and i bet the power will be close

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 pm

dragon1 wrote:
jm529 wrote:van,
I agree...I don't know the composition of the Shikari BBs, but I imagine it has to be a blend/composite of some sort. Rich Forhan is still a top-notch builder, whereas Brad Tharpe from Tactical Bassin;...well, you know the story with him. :-k

Let me know if you would consider selling one to me, and what you think of these blanks?

i wouldn't mind selling you one but shipping an 8ft blank out to you would be a killer with the oversize charges an all. it wouldn't be worth it for you cause they're not really that special. i think they are im6, low modulus and moderate fast action, weigh around 4oz. that's pretty common for back bounce blanks.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm

jimmyb wrote:
dragon1 wrote: If you have a suggestion for what I built this blank for, I am open to it as I will likely have a second SB/heavy + powered moving bait rod built if I find I like the techs this one can do.
st croix 4c710hf

the physical weight will be a lot less, and i bet the power will be close

The physical weight I will know once my builder gets to weigh the black cut down to 7'10" and then I will compare vs the St. Croix...power being close I agree with, but what about the overall action/blank "bend"/tip load? That is what is most important to me.

Thank you Jimmy, I will make sure to check out this blank as well for my next large bait/swimbait blank.