Would you use them for a high end build?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Would you use them for a high end build?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:26 am

dragon1 wrote:
robertrinaustin wrote:You guys are hilarious. Ignore all the problems with ceramic guides or just deny them away. This crazy irrational hatred of Recoils is really laughable, critical thinking be damned, lol.

For the record, I've replaced 9 guides this year with inserts from Fuji, Kigan, Pacbay and Batson. The materials were stainless and titanium. I've never replaced a grooved Recoil or even seen one in person. I use Recoils in less than 10% of my builds, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Funny how the only picture you see is the same picture posted over and over and over again every time this comes up. I understand if you don't like them. I don't like them, but they have their place and I'd argue are much less likely to be damaged than a ceramic insert guide.

To the OP, you clearly stated a use where Recoils won't ever groove (fluoro use only). If you like them, give them a try. If you are especially hard on guides, then I'd recommend them regardless of the use.
I have NEVER had a ceramic insert pop out or be damaged in all my years of fishing.

And I never said that Recoils should be avoided due to grooving...but rather that IMO, it is not a high end component. But again, on a high end, high modulus rod, what is the purpose of a Recoil (vs a Ti Sic or any other material) if the blank is likely to be damaged, even if the Recoil survives?
I agree with Van. If you want to know about abuse, just ask a pro staffer. I know 2 guys who are sponsored by Loomis who actually put Ti/SiC guides on a GLX after stripping the recoils. Both stated to me that they are "junk", said statement obviously being made in confidentiality because of affiliation. I have only used a rod with recoils once. While light-weight, I don't believe that they are very strong or abrasion-resistant. I say this because I asked a rodbuilder I know about the recoils. He opened a drawer and pulled out a huge box of recoil guides. He said he had removed them from various rods over the years and put different guides in their place. He then took a big spinning recoil guide and a plain old aluminum oxide guide(#25) and put a rat tail file inside. He gave each one 5 or 6 forceful strokes and then handed them to me with a q-tip. I ran the q-tip around the inside of each guide. The recoil was scarred badly and pulled fibers from the q-tip, while the oxide guide was still as smooth as new. I was floored. But if you stop and think, aluminum oxide is what the abrasive material on sandpaper is made of and it grinds even stainless steel away easily. And SiC is much harder than aluminum oxide. I saw this first hand, no hearsay involved. So, I have drawn my conclusion based on actual observation. Just one pic of a recoil guide grooved is too much for me. I'm curious as to whether there is a pic of even one silicon carbide guide ring with a groove. SiC is used for bearings in jet engines because of it's hardness. That alone is enough for me to stick with that guide material over any metal ring.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:50 pm

I really appreciate your opinions fellas, but if these discussions are for my benefit I have already chosen my guides. I have some 4.5mm Black Pearls from a previous build that were never used, I was looking at the weight reduction and durability of Recoils. I am building a NFC HM-809 that will be used for heavy cover with 25# fluoro. I am using (1) 8mm Titan double foot stripper, (2) 5mm K-series, (?) 4.5mm K-series to the tip, SIC micro tip, running guides are alconite. This rod will be for my personal use and was just curious what people thought about them in real fishing situations. I got my answer pretty quickly. I will however use them on a build in the future to try them for myself. I have also replaced many ceramic guides on customers rods, probably 30 or so just this winter. The same reason is involved in all cases (ABUSE), mostly from reeling tungsten weights or swivels right in to the tip. Others break off due to jamming them into rod tubes in their boats. Guide rings don't just fall out unless the frame is distorted somehow. Any way this is my plan now and I am sorry I started a bit of a fuss.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:03 pm

No argument was meant by anyone IMHO. We're a big family here-and families sometimes disagree. I harbor no ill will towards anyone for expressing their point-of-view in this or any thread. I hope no one took anything I said personally, because it wasn't meant that way at all. I think all the guys here on TT are great, even if everyone doesn't always see eye to eye. There is room here for everyone. O:)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Recoils, like all guides have their place...budget, fishing conditions, etc. taken into account. For a high-end rod, in the definition of such on TT, and not just a "top-tier" Ugly Stik per se, or other mass produced mediocre overall product...I don't consider a Recoil a high-end component.

I personally believe that it is more than coincidence (read public sentiment) that the current GLXs, and other rods soon to follow, will eventually offer other type guide materials other than Recoils.

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 pm

For the record... I'm not a recoil fan. I haven't had any groove on me but I still prefer Fuji's.

If durability is a concern I'd flush that nanolite down the toilet where it belongs. Sorry if that sounds harsh but of the four AT Nanolite rods I've built... All four have needed multiple repairs and only one still has those pieces of crap. I've never broken a fuji guide using them the exact same way. I've broken spinning guides, double footed casting guides and more micros than i can count.

I know some of you have had good experience with Nanolite guides. But I'll never again consider using them. I still have a bunch the I've been using to repair abu rods for some friends.

I'm a Fuji guide and reelseat guy from now on.

Nektarios
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nektarios » Sun May 12, 2013 8:20 am

I am not a fan of Recoils and would not use them. Too loud and grooving issues.

tunnelengineer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tunnelengineer » Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 am

Absolutely not. I build my own rods and use nothing but Fuji TiSic guides. Never one single issue with any of them, and as light as can be.

I refuse to buy any rod that uses the Recoils. That is the only reason I won't consider a NRX rod, nor any of the GLX rods that used them.