Would you use them for a high end build?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Would you use them for a high end build?

Post by 5poundhooker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:52 pm

Is it a bad idea to use micro 4.5mm Recoil black pearl guides on a rod that will use only fluorocarbon? I will be spiral wrapping
with titanium nanolite 6 or 8 stripper, 2 k-series 5mm, Recoil's to the tip and sic micro tip. Wondering if anyone has noticed any ill effects using fluorocarbon only (no braid)? I want to keep the build as light and durable as I can. I can always use some thing else later if an issue occurs. Please give me your thoughts and opinions about actual use and experience. Thanks in advance guys.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Would you use them for a high end build?

Post by Mattman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:02 pm

My opinion...

"Recoil" and "high end" do not belong in the same sentence.

Flourocarbon only on this guide...

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Agreed. Recoil guides in the same sentence with high end is an oxymoron.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Ok, thanks. I have never used them before and wasn't sure if the destruction was limited to braid and how it can gather abrasives easier than smooth lines. I will use sic or alconite then. I have heard both pros and cons to the Recoils, but never had any personal experience with them. Thanks guys.

Flounder Guru
Angler
Angler

Post by Flounder Guru » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 pm

To me thats just the black pearl recoils. I have recoils on my custom G loomis mahagony for about 3yrs now and been using flouro and braid all the time, but never had any grooves in the recoil guides.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:23 am

Thor wrote:Agreed. Recoil guides in the same sentence with high end is an oxymoron.
While there are many that have never, and likey will never, have issues with Recoils...I agree wholeheartedly with the above statement.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 am

I tried them on an ultralight rod in the past and while there was no braid involved, they did their job well. However, when you ask if they belong on a high end build, it become laughable. Guides are not cheap but these do not represent much value when you compare them with quality titanium frame guides.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Thor wrote:I tried them on an ultralight rod in the past and while there was no braid involved, they did their job well. However, when you ask if they belong on a high end build, it become laughable. Guides are not cheap but these do not represent much value when you compare them with quality titanium frame guides.
Exactly...cheap tires on a Ferrari. ](*,)

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:40 pm

I don't get it. There's nothing cheap about Recoils. I personally don't like them, too noisy, but if you are hard on guides, they are a great option. I'd bet your 10 times more likely to pop an insert or break a guide with an insert than you are to groove a Recoil. In my experience, it's actually much greater than that, but I only build 3 or 4 rods a year with Recoils.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 pm

If you're doing it yourself, might as well try it...that way you'll know. You'll always wonder how they would have been other wise. Take them off and sell them if you don't like them. I personally wouldn't use them having had a rod with them I know I don't want them anymore....Got it out of my system so to speak...these seem to be like the Fuji acs reel seat- love it or hate it.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:05 am

Again...why put on guides that can "take punishment" on a high end blank that is not made to be "abused"? Guides popping out has nothing to do with the overall component quality of a Ti Sic vs a Recoil...as neither does cost of a Recoil being high an indication that is as quality an overall product as a Ti Sic.

IMO, a Recoil guide is NOT a high end component, regardless of whether it grooves or not, or whether there is not an insert to pop out.

My two cents.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 am

This is entertainment.

It has been over 10 years since I had an insert come loose in a titanium frame Fuji guide. I fish in saltwater and catch fish way beyond the typical bass, so, while insert failure might have been a problem at one time, things are much better today. Recoils are not cheap, so comparing their price to high end guides dispels the better value theory. Their ability to handle braid and not groove was not the question but they do represent designs from 40 years ago, so grab your split cane blank and start wrapping.

rglabach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rglabach » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Better to set a few criteria (ceramic vs recoil):

Can take punishment? who cares on a high end build
Lighter?
Are ceramics or recoils more prone to grooving? recoils
Cost?

Seems recoils would have to be considerably lighter and/ or cheaper for me to even consider recoils

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:56 pm

You guys are hilarious. Ignore all the problems with ceramic guides or just deny them away. This crazy irrational hatred of Recoils is really laughable, critical thinking be damned, lol.

For the record, I've replaced 9 guides this year with inserts from Fuji, Kigan, Pacbay and Batson. The materials were stainless and titanium. I've never replaced a grooved Recoil or even seen one in person. I use Recoils in less than 10% of my builds, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Funny how the only picture you see is the same picture posted over and over and over again every time this comes up. I understand if you don't like them. I don't like them, but they have their place and I'd argue are much less likely to be damaged than a ceramic insert guide.

To the OP, you clearly stated a use where Recoils won't ever groove (fluoro use only). If you like them, give them a try. If you are especially hard on guides, then I'd recommend them regardless of the use.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:45 pm

robertrinaustin wrote:You guys are hilarious. Ignore all the problems with ceramic guides or just deny them away. This crazy irrational hatred of Recoils is really laughable, critical thinking be damned, lol.

For the record, I've replaced 9 guides this year with inserts from Fuji, Kigan, Pacbay and Batson. The materials were stainless and titanium. I've never replaced a grooved Recoil or even seen one in person. I use Recoils in less than 10% of my builds, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Funny how the only picture you see is the same picture posted over and over and over again every time this comes up. I understand if you don't like them. I don't like them, but they have their place and I'd argue are much less likely to be damaged than a ceramic insert guide.

To the OP, you clearly stated a use where Recoils won't ever groove (fluoro use only). If you like them, give them a try. If you are especially hard on guides, then I'd recommend them regardless of the use.
I have NEVER had a ceramic insert pop out or be damaged in all my years of fishing.

And I never said that Recoils should be avoided due to grooving...but rather that IMO, it is not a high end component. But again, on a high end, high modulus rod, what is the purpose of a Recoil (vs a Ti Sic or any other material) if the blank is likely to be damaged, even if the Recoil survives?