Phenix K2 thoughts

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Phenix K2 thoughts

Post by smalliesteve » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:14 am

I'm thinking about selling some stuff and building a Phenix K2. This would be paired with a TD-Ito 103HL and be an upgrade from a SC Avid 7' Med Fast. What I'm looking for it to do is function as an all-rounder and would be throwing <1/4 T rigs, weightless flukes, weightless 4" and sometimes 5" senkos,1/4 and 3/8 spinnerbaits, some jerkbaits, 1/4 jigs, maybe some 1/2 rattlebaits.

Would be fished around light cover with braid or 10lb fluoro.

I'm looking at the 714.
I know it'd be slower than the SC, how would the power compare? What's the tip like? How light can I go and still load it? Any other insights?

I'm open to the NFC high mod series as well, but don't know much about them. Is there a comparable model out there? What should I expect from them compared to a K2 (weight, speed, power, sensitivity)? Looking for 7' to 7' 4".

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Phenix K2 thoughts

Post by jimmyb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 pm

sounds like the answer is already in your hands (partially). Why not upgrade to a 5c70MF? The 5c71MHXF is also potential if you want some more backbone, but still a fast tip

I, personally, hate slower rods.

as for getting something from K2 that is the "same" you really need to measure the blanks or have someone measure the blanks. Of course that means having a blank in hand...

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 am

The 714 will suit you well for these purposes. I use it casting texas rigs with 1/4 oz weights as well as 3/8 oz jigs. It is a little more moderate action but it's a extremely sensitive stick that servers its purpose well.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:16 pm

yo smallie!!!

i don't have a k2 714 but have a 764 and two 715's. for what you want to do, i think the 714 would work well. my 715's are my favorite rods but i use them for 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs and heavier. i think the 714 would be better for the 1/4 oz jigs that you want to fish. i primarily use my 764 for "heavier" duty dropshotting so have not tried jigs on it yet. that being said, i fish 1/4 to 1/2 dropshots on that rod. works great!!!

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:09 am

Thanks for the responses guys,

Jimmy, I don't want to go with SC for a couple reasons, one of which is I don't see them using their higher Mod graphite to make their rods lighter. The C70MF blank is the perfect example. SC2 graphite 2.2 oz, SC3 2.0 oz, SC4 pre-NSi 2.0 oz, SC4 NSi (C71MF) 2.2 oz, SC5 pre-NSi 2.0 oz, SC5 NSi 2.0 oz. I would prefer they used advances in technology to make a lighter blank instead of playing it safe and apparently targeting one weight for the blank and making them as durable as possible (my interpretation of what's going on). That said, they make good blanks, I just don't see enough that makes me want to spend the money for their premium blanks (and yes I've fished them).

Hey spaz, can you give me a run down on how the tip is on this rod? Is light or a little more stiff? Have you checked to see how light of lures you can throw with it?

Froteur! I'm desperately trying to keep up with your K2 collection; and failing. :lol: So far I've chickened out twice which leaves me with a grand total of 0. :oops: I was going to sell my Ringa to fund this one but now I'm reconsidering. These Ringas are just so hard to find. :-k

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:48 am

smalliesteve wrote:Thanks for the responses guys,

Froteur! I'm desperately trying to keep up with your K2 collection; and failing. :lol: So far I've chickened out twice which leaves me with a grand total of 0. :oops: I was going to sell my Ringa to fund this one but now I'm reconsidering. These Ringas are just so hard to find. :-k

you need to try harder. btw ... i forgot .... i also have a k2 765. :big grin: :big grin:

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 am

You're killing me.

What apps you using it for? I was thinking that one may be the next one I build (after the 714) but that's a ways out yet. I was thinking jigs, hollow belly swimbaits and frogs.

FWIW i'm looking at the NFC 705 HM as potential competition for the 714. The NFC is sanded, but the K2 has that sexy weave...

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:18 pm

smalliesteve wrote:You're killing me.

What apps you using it for? I was thinking that one may be the next one I build (after the 714) but that's a ways out yet. I was thinking jigs, hollow belly swimbaits and frogs.

FWIW i'm looking at the NFC 705 HM as potential competition for the 714. The NFC is sanded, but the K2 has that sexy weave...
k2 all the way!!! :big grin: :big grin:

the 715's are jig rods (and some bottom contact stuff but i almost always have two jigs tied on -- one on each rod). the 764 is used for heavier dropshotting and some topwater and jerkbait duties. the 765 is for texas rigged baits and (still have to do this) carolina rigging.

i haven't tried hollow body swimbaits with them yet but it should work. i would NOT fish frogs on these rods (the 715's or 765) in heavy cover: however, open water would be fine.

good luck!! :big grin:

Pin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:56 am

Hey Froteur, is the K2 765 suitable to fish jigs 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz in deep weeds?

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Pin wrote:Hey Froteur, is the K2 765 suitable to fish jigs 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz in deep weeds?
Yep.