How to epoxy an decal

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

How to epoxy an decal

Post by rh_916 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:07 am

How do u epoxy an decal so it doesnt have lumps on it. Any help i would apreciate it.

Thanks
Randy

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How to epoxy an decal

Post by Koldkut » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:38 am

Are your decal edges lifting? Or is the decal repeling the finish?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Koldkut wrote:Are your decal edges lifting? Or is the decal repeling the finish?
Ditto. We need some more info.

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm

The epoxy isnt leveling that smooth thats it.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:24 pm

here's what I do.

first I apply epoxy with strokes going around the blank on each end to establish straight ends.
Then I come back and fill in between those ends with strokes along the blank.

The epoxy will spread out around the blank, but not much along the blank. You don't have to lay it down smooth as long as you lay the same amount down as you progress along the blank. When I'm done applying I still have ridges, but my ridges run parallel to the blank and are even in size. Stick it on the dryer and those ridges will lay down and level themselves around the blank.

To fix what you have already, use a clean sharp mill file to file off the high spots. Take your strokes along the blank and go slow until you're making contact along the whole length and level. Then wipe with some alcohol, let dry and you're ready for another coat of epoxy. Just make sure you don't get into the label or blank with the file.

Good luck

Edit: just to make sure the simple stuff isn't being overlooked, you are rotating the rod frequently while it's drying right?

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:19 pm

smalliesteve wrote:here's what I do.

first I apply epoxy with strokes going around the blank on each end to establish straight ends.
Then I come back and fill in between those ends with strokes along the blank.

The epoxy will spread out around the blank, but not much along the blank. You don't have to lay it down smooth as long as you lay the same amount down as you progress along the blank. When I'm done applying I still have ridges, but my ridges run parallel to the blank and are even in size. Stick it on the dryer and those ridges will lay down and level themselves around the blank.

To fix what you have already, use a clean sharp mill file to file off the high spots. Take your strokes along the blank and go slow until you're making contact along the whole length and level. Then wipe with some alcohol, let dry and you're ready for another coat of epoxy. Just make sure you don't get into the label or blank with the file.

Good luck

Edit: just to make sure the simple stuff isn't being overlooked, you are rotating the rod frequently while it's drying right?

Thanks for the help smalliesteve. Yeah i have it on an rod dryer too.

Randy

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 am

Since you are building your own rods, do you still have time to salmon fish?

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Ong Jim wrote:Since you are building your own rods, do you still have time to salmon fish?

Sup James,

I havent really been building any rods lately. Been salmon fishing on the weekends to but this year is alot slower then last year. Ill try to build more in the winter time when i quit salmon fishing tho.

Randy