Tricks, tips & secrets

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
bciya
Angler
Angler

Tricks, tips & secrets

Post by bciya » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought it might be valuable to share little tricks etc that we've picked up when rod building over the years, basic - advanced, and have them all in one spot.

I've found that if I use Gudebrod black thread without filler, the thread deepens to a rich black when I apply the epoxy and does not go see through (like lighter colours do), and most importantly, doesn't fade over the years (whereas it does fade from the sun if you do use filler). Same goes for the dark blue (sorry, I can't remember the colour number off the top of my head) however, it does have a very slight see through element to it if you don't bind the thread neatly.

Likewise with Madeira metallic thread (size 40) for trims... I've found that this thread doesn't fade from sunlight (whereas some other brand's eventually fade eg. gold eventually fades to silver).

I've also found that when filing/grinding guide feet (more of an issue with larger guides), the more I taper the foot edge (toward the blank) the less likely the epoxy will develop scaling over time.

What tips and tricks have you learned?

EDIT: By "filler" I mean thread preserver in case my terminology is different to yours.

Koldkut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tricks, tips & secrets

Post by Koldkut » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:38 am

When wrapping micro sized guides, I find that a high quality auto body masking tape(yeah, it's expensive, but I only have one roll of this and the rest are normal blue tape) works best for holding these guides, the extra tack works very well when I split a piece of tape down to 1/8" or smaller strips to hold them.

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tricks, tips & secrets

Post by Phantom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:32 pm

i dont tape the guides on to wrap (micros) measure out the wrap and where it needs to finish then start binding, when i get just short of where the guides foot will be i put 1 wrap over the foot (mid foot not slanted start of guide) then bind tight for 3-4 turns. Then gently move the guide forward so the thread wraps slide down the slant/foot and until the guide is positioned in the correct location. taping micros on small dia rods was the bain of my existance esp in a humid climate, any moisture on your hands and the tape doesnt work, rubber bands seem to be popular to.

in regards to thread, i dont use filler/cp on gudebrod either.

fyi anyone using prowrap metallic...throw it out. fades in no time at all. I mean a matter of trips and the colour is going