Mad-Swirled Grips - Patriot

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
KyLakeLunker
Angler
Angler

Mad-Swirled Grips - Patriot

Post by KyLakeLunker » Thu May 01, 2014 1:11 pm

It's been a while since I've been on here, but here are some new grips I turned and added a Mad-Swirl to. These went to a builder who is working on some rods for donations to the Wounded Warriors event in Texas.
resize.jpg
New Mad-Swirl Grips
resize.jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Mad-Swirled Grips - Patriot

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:51 pm

=D> That's some sharp looking work. What kind of material is it?

Those swirls are deceptively difficult. I had thought it would be easier than it is. I've been messing with it to try some marbling on rods…to sum up what mine looks like... :sick:

KyLakeLunker
Angler
Angler

Re: Mad-Swirled Grips - Patriot

Post by KyLakeLunker » Thu May 01, 2014 11:33 pm

vinnieb729 wrote:=D> That's some sharp looking work. What kind of material is it?

Those swirls are deceptively difficult. I had thought it would be easier than it is. I've been messing with it to try some marbling on rods…to sum up what mine looks like... :sick:
Thank you. I did this over rigid 8lb pour foam. There's a small learning curve, but it's not too bad. If you have questions about it, shoot me an email at ReedRods@gmail.com. I sell the Magic Marble Paint for it. Myself, mudhole, and the distributor are the only retailers of the paint. I'm trying to recruit some other retailers in other areas outside of rodbuilding to carry the paint now.

The rods shown in mudhole's catalog with the paint are some of my personal rods. I was literally the blind squirrel that found the nut when I stumbled across this technique. I ended up calling it Mad-Swirl for rod building, since my daughter is Maddie and it's a swirl. This has been done in arts and crafts and whatnot for a long time.

This is very similar to hydro dipping, except you only need paint and water on this technique. I did a blank also, here is a link to my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 382&type=1
With a whole blank, you'll need a roughly 15" diameter pipe 10' tall to fill with water so you have the surface area to coat the entire blank. If you look on my facebook page, I also to a brief video tutorial on how to use it. Some steps are skipped, but it gives the general idea.