Custom Rod that tends to cast to left

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Custom Rod that tends to cast to left

Post by jtrotter » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:46 am

can someone explain why a rod would seems to cast slightly to the left vs others in my collection? the blank appears to be straight. Was it built off spline? help please.

should a rod guides be build on spline or on the straight edge if rod has slight curve to it?

JT

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Custom Rod that tends to cast to left

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 am

This might sound snippy, but it is not the rod.

There are two possibilities here:

1. Rod is not being loaded up sufficiently on cast due to too light of a bait/lure. This causes the cast to be inaccurate as the spool will not start up very well. Try upping the weight you are casting and see if it makes a change in accuracy.

2. Rod is simply not what you are used to, so it feels different or loads differently on cast. Maybe it is an x-fast action where your other rods are fast? Maybe it is a slower action and your other rods are faster? Maybe it is a softer action? etc. This happens to me all the time since I dont think I own two rods of the same make right now. :lol:

I don't think it is the spline because when side arm casting with a standard casting rod, the spline is not on the back end of the rod during the cast, but rather the top end. It seems that most find side arm casting more accurate in close quarters fishing.

If you do want to check the spline just to be safe, try looking at some videos on how to find the spline of a blank - especially the mudhole video (if you don't already know how to do this).

Be sure to update us on what you find. :big grin:

jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jtrotter » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:47 am

I appreciate your comments and have allowed others to cast with different lines and lures. without leading them, I ask what they felt about the casting ability of the rod,,, most all said it felt it casted slightly to the left. I have two identical blanks and builds, one casts appropriately and the other trends to left... puzzling to me.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:32 am

Same reel on both rods. If not try swapping them, some spool line out a little quicker than others. Usually when this happens to me its a light lure on an overly stiff rod, but have seen it on some reels that spool up slower.