Ultra light casting rod

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ultra light casting rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:23 am

A year and a half ago I built a 6ft MHX ultra light using the Spin Jig series blank. I have a PX Type R with 10lb braid on it. I love the rod for weightless worms and small jerkbaits. I wanted to build a rod for casting real ultralight stuff and I feel the rod is too fast for really light stuff. Will a normal fast ultra light blank be too light for the reel? Any advice is appreciated.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ultra light casting rod

Post by vinnieb729 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:52 am

What kind of wt and lures do you plan to throw?

As a place to start, I would consider a popping blank. They can be a mod-fast to XF action with decent backbone but the tips are nice and light to handle small baits. They can be found in 0, 1, and 2 powers.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:29 am

My intent was to almost phase out my spinning UL. I'm not looking to cast super tiny stuff. I just like to fish under powered rods. Casting small lures like a small Panther Martin or panfish cranks would be my lower limit. I think the X fast tip is the limiting factor.

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:46 am

Most of my fishing is done with l and ul bait casters and one of my favorite rods is built on a batson walleye blank. 6'2' rated for 1/4 oz and up to 10 lb line. Its a very nice and versatile light rod thats does a lot of things very well.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:54 am

I've got a rod built on the Phenix Elixer 601 that I really like. Handles up to a 1/4 oz very well. More mod-fast than fast. I think I'd fit the bill for you, though I don't have a good baseline as I haven't seen the MHX UL.

FWIW I bought a PX Finesse Special spool for my PX-R and it's amazing. If you're willing to spend the money, it'd go very nicely with an UL rod.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:34 pm

I was looking into buying a spool but I wasn't sure if it was the reel or the rod holding me back. I love the MHX blank for 4in worms. Casts a mile and still has some backbone. I would buy the spool but I'd be out over a hundred bucks if the problem was just the rod. I guess the spool wouldn't hurt. I have plenty of time (winter) to think and build a rod if need be.