Frog Rod Blank Recommendation

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
SmallSmallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Frog Rod Blank Recommendation

Post by SmallSmallie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to make a frog rod for my 2nd custom rod and would like to get some recommendation on which blank to pursue for.

1. Length: 7' ~ 7'6"
2. Lure Weight: 1/2oz
3. Target Area: Scattered weed/med-heavy matted vegetation
4. Budget: ~ $250

I want this rod to load up nicely with 1/2oz frog, not for casting distance but for casting accuracy(soft tip). But the backbone should be strong to bring back 3 ~ 5lb bass from matted vegetation. I would love to use this rod as jig rod (3/8oz + trailer) as well so sensitivity will be a big plus. Lighter weight will be better but don't want fragile rod (I don't mistreat rods though)

I'm eyeing on following blanks but would love to receive some advise from people who have experience with them. Any Help will be great!

1. Phenix K2 TX-715H-C (one I'm most interested as of now)
2. St Croix 5C74HF-B B
3. NFC MB 739-1
4. Batson IMMC76H
5. MHX MB874-MHX

SwimbaitsatLMV
Angler
Angler

Re: Frog Rod Blank Recommendation

Post by SwimbaitsatLMV » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:36 pm

The Phenix UMBX 703xh is my choice. Best rod I've used, hands down for frog fishing.

Batson-Brands
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Batson-Brands » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:13 am

SmallSmallie wrote:Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to make a frog rod for my 2nd custom rod and would like to get some recommendation on which blank to pursue for.

1. Length: 7' ~ 7'6"
2. Lure Weight: 1/2oz
3. Target Area: Scattered weed/med-heavy matted vegetation
4. Budget: ~ $250

I want this rod to load up nicely with 1/2oz frog, not for casting distance but for casting accuracy(soft tip). But the backbone should be strong to bring back 3 ~ 5lb bass from matted vegetation. I would love to use this rod as jig rod (3/8oz + trailer) as well so sensitivity will be a big plus. Lighter weight will be better but don't want fragile rod (I don't mistreat rods though)

I'm eyeing on following blanks but would love to receive some advise from people who have experience with them. Any Help will be great!

1. Phenix K2 TX-715H-C (one I'm most interested as of now)
2. St Croix 5C74HF-B B
3. NFC MB 739-1
4. Batson IMMC76H
5. MHX MB874-MHX
Well our prostaff Keith Combs and Anthony Gagliardi seem to do just fine with Frogging with the RainShadow Immortal rod blank. Not too many people on here have our blanks to give feedback. Plus the rod blank is very new. A couple people will be putting reviews on here about our blanks, but they don't have this particular rod blank in hand. If you want to ask specific questions, you can contact us directly!! Look forward to hearing you soon.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:02 pm

I have to agree with Swimbait! I've been guiding and fishing the California Delta for over 20 years. And a frog is obviously one of the most utilized techniques on the delta! And I havent found a better frog rod then the UMBX 703XH! Perfect tip for walking the frog. And PLENTY of back bone to hall the bass out of the slop! In fact, I keep 4 703XH rods in my boat, and each has probably pulled more than 100 bass from 5-12lbs to the boat! Save your money from the K2 and get the MBX! You will love it! But if you had to have a K2, get the 736 not the 715, soft tip, but way better back bone then the 715.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:45 pm

frog rods are a tough call. I personally use 2 of them. One for more open water where i need to walk (st croix 5c76mhm). I also whip out the big stick (4c79hf) when fishing really knarly rice and matted vegetation. Such a heavy rod makes you recalibrate the cast, but it does throw a frog well and it is the only way to get them back to the boat, especially when you are throwing into cover that you cant get to with a boat

SmallSmallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmallSmallie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks for all the reply.. I've check the UMBX 703XH and it looks like a beast of a rod... I'm not looking into a broomstick but how does this compare to other frog rods like MB Mat Bucker F6 x4? if the rod has enough soft tip for accurate cast, by all means I will try it!!

How is the power/action compare between umbx 703xh and k2 736? Which one will have better accuracy?

I looked at the St Croix 76MCF but that rods has 6.5 tip!!! Isn't that mean a stiff tip?

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:58 pm

The croix MHF can also be used also MHX has a decent blank as well.

SmallSmallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SmallSmallie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:40 am

Just bought the UMBX-700XH for my next rod! Thank you all for the inputs. I first thought about snatching the UMBX-703XH because it's Extra Heavy with Extra Fast Tip but later thought out that shorter rod may balance better with my consideration for very short rear grip (7 inch!). The UMBX-703XH has .589 avg rear grip while the 700XH has .598, which means the 700XH may be tad rear heavy, which in turns balance tad better. K2 715, 735H was maybe too much for me on my second rod build, and I also thought UMBX might have better accurate cast as it's XF compared to F on K2.

Parts already purchase, hoping to start building by next week!! Will definitely post some ongoing process.
Blank: Phenix UMBX-700XH
Seat: Alps Toray 16 or Alps Split Seat 16 /w carbon hood (bought both)
Grip: Alps 7in Rear Handle EVA
Butt: Alps EVA Butt or Rubber Butt 20 (bought both)
Misc: Alps Rubber Winding Check, Trim Piece for between grip/butt & grip/real seat (all black)
Hook Keeper: Alps Drop Shot or Kigan (Black, bought both)
Stripper Guide: Kigan Black ZDH5 or ZDH5.5 (bought both)
Running Guide: REC Black Pearl Micro Guide 4.0 (bought 10 total just in case)
TIp Top: Kigan Black Micro 4.0 tangle free
Thread: black

Planning to make it simple spiral with REC microguide 4.0 as bumper guide. In case if the guide is too short for clearing blank, I've also ordered Kigan 5.0 Double Foot (not H model)....Also order Fuji SiC stripper and tip top if Kigan's new H guide does not suit well. I will have to practice some thread works before working on it :oops: :oops: