Fuji Point Blank Rod Blanks

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Fuji Point Blank Rod Blanks

Post by MikeK » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:48 am

I don't have any info on the IMX844C you mentioned, but I just built and fished the PB701MHF as a spinning rod for redfish. At first feel, the soft fast tip makes it seem not too powerful, but in practice it works well with 1/4oz leadheads/shadtails, and really shows power when loaded. The biggest fish I got was 9lb but I felt completely in control. Measured RDA power was 570.

This is the second Point Blank I've built and I very much like them.

A couple of build notes . . .
The last 10" or so of the butt is not tapered so if you ream grips, be careful with a tapered reamer.
The two I've built have extremely strong spines, whatever your thoughts on that matter. :D

Finally, I consider Jim Ising (Croaker JO) to be both cordial and knowledgeable, and he does not misrepresent himself as bamfish so fervently alleges.
Last edited by MikeK on Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:13 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:ANYONE BUILT ON ANY OF THESE BLANKS YET :big grin: :big grin:
Mattman did. Once I complete my build on the Phenix Redeye I ordered this will be the next blank I try.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=64786

DaveJ
Sweet. Did you order the same blank Dave? I'm wanting a BFS rod. Can't decide between a light version of this, a light MHX high mod spin jig, and a light Phenix Ultra. So far, I like all my Phenix builds better than the rest. Love their blanks....a whole lot :big grin:
I haven't decided which one to try yet. It will be a year or so until I get around to it. The Redeye I ordered still hasn't come in (special order).

DaveJ

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:24 am

MikeK wrote:I don't have any info on the IMX844C you mentioned, but I just built and fished the PB701MHF as a spinning rod for redfish. At first feel, the soft fast tip makes it seem not too powerful, but in practice it works well with 1/4oz leadheads/shadtails, and really shows power when loaded. The biggest fish I got was 9lb but I felt completely in control. Measured RDA power was 570.

This is the second Point Blank I've built and I very much like them.

A couple of build notes . . .
The last 10" or so of the butt is not tapered so if you ream grips, be careful with a tapered reamer.
The two I've built have extremely strong spines, whatever your thoughts on that matter. :D

Finally, I consider Jim Ising (Croaker JO) to be both cordial and knowledgeable, and he does not misrepresent himself as bamfish so fervently alleges.
Thanks for the info. Does Mattman, or anyone, know the RDA of the Loomis IMX 844c and 843c blanks? I've got a couple of each that I have been using for many years and it is easy for me to compare other blanks to them. I didn't find any RDA's with google. Thanks.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:46 am

toddmc wrote:
Does Mattman, or anyone, know the RDA of the Loomis IMX 844c and 843c blanks?

MB843 GLX
570 grams
67°
2.13 oz

MB844 GLX
670 grams
66°
2.3 oz

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:04 am

I have yet to build on these but will soon, having held the first few prototypes and the newer models i was very impressed. The earlier models were a bit on the heavy side however the new models are on point and flexed very well. Jim is a stand up guy and has done a lot for the rod-building community and in my experience would never try and intentionally steer someone the wrong direction.