need some BFS rodbuilding advise

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

need some BFS rodbuilding advise

Post by nctrucker » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:52 am

I would like some input on rods for a BFS outfit. I have a few blanks to build on : 2 wt. flyrod blanks 6'6",a sp781 and a 7'6" 4 wt. blank. I hope a round black max 3600 will match up adequately for my needs at present but may get a reel more suitable if needed.
I will be throwing various baits of 1/4 oz. and less. small spinnerbaits, poppers, rapalas, yo-zuri pins minnows, cranksbaits, etc. I may just have to throw some bagley 2 1/2" small fry baits.
target water is creek/headwaters of a small local pond which just happens to have some good bass(my PB-about a 7lb LMB-released), perch, and a fine bluegill population in it. some tight spots but plenty of room to cast in most places. I fish it in an 8' BASS RAIDER.
I have 4 of the 2 wt blanks I can build on- 3 are 2 pc, 1 is a 4 pc blank. I have some wiebe seat setups and at least one red cedar rod handle I can use with a casting reel seat as well as some ips seats I could use.

bradbellflower
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: need some BFS rodbuilding advise

Post by bradbellflower » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:47 am

Of the blanks you listed, none will do very well with 1/4 oz baits. Those 2 wt fly rod blanks, think more about 1/64-1/16 oz. Keep your guide train, wraps and finish light, so as to not overpower those light blanks. The 4 wt fly rod blank might handle the 1/4 oz stuff a bit better, if that's in your game.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 am

I gotta think even a 4wt is going to be awfully noodly with 1/4 oz anything. Even fast fly blanks are slow compared to spin and casting blanks. I think you're going to have a hard time getting hooks set with a spinnerbait. You might be okay with the tiny cranks, but I'd still be inclined to think it's going to be too soft.

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:56 am

thanks for insights, guys. I think I will build the 4 wt first and maybe a 5 wt if it seems a good idea after I run the 4 wt through a few outings.