In Need of a Builder

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

In Need of a Builder

Post by Redfish » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:55 pm

I have a rod that I need to have an eye replaced on. It is a megabass rod and I would like to get everything to match with the remaining eyes. It is not a huge job and I know most of you guys have your hands full, but if someone wants to take on the job, it could lead to bigger and better things. Thanks. Just send me a PM and I will give you specifics.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: In Need of a Builder

Post by USA-RET » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:20 pm

For a job as small as replacing an eye, shipping is going to kill you. Matt (Mattman) at Otterrods could certainly do a perfect match.

Have you checked locally with some builders in your area? Most guys that build rods as a business can do a excellent job matching parts and thread wraps.

For a complete build or a serious repair, I will always use Matt, but for a busted guide or an "at the tip break" I use a local guy I found if only to save on the shipping, insurance and risk of damage or destruction when sending the rods through a common carrier.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:00 am

There are a couple guys close, but to say I trust them enough with my Brigandage would be a stretch. Yeah I know shipping will be a bear, but for this rod I am okay with that. Matt pm'd me and I have sent some pics to him.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:15 am

If you print a label through paypal shipping should be around $15-20. Varies with insurance.