Custom Rod For Jig/Worm

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
João Miguel Oliveira
Angler
Angler

Custom Rod For Jig/Worm

Post by João Miguel Oliveira » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi.

I'm planning building a Custom Rod for Jig/Worm technique and I want a sensitive an lightweight rod. Since it is my first custom rod I'm not sure about the materials to use.

I was thinking about a st croix legend xtreme blank 5C71MHXF-B, do you think I can get a better blank with less money? Which guides or seat reel do you like to use on your rods?

Thank you very much

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Custom Rod For Jig/Worm

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:57 pm

That is a good blank. A lot of people also like the Phenix K2 blanks. Very light and sensitive. They can be a little breakage prone if you are extra rough on them due to the very high modulus. There are lots of good options.

What production rods do you find most comfortable? That is the best way to pick a reel seat. I like Pac Bay Minima, Fuji ECS, and want to try the Fuji PTS (tube insert requirement is holding me back).

As for guides I love the Fuji K guides. They come in stainless steel or titanium with Alconite, SiC, or Torzite inserts. Titanium with Torzite are very pricey. SS with Alconite are super reasonable and are the guide I judge all others against. I use that combination on all my builds. Super lightweight and durable too but not the lightest and most durable. All depends how much you want to spend.

DaveJ

João Miguel Oliveira
Angler
Angler

Post by João Miguel Oliveira » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:36 pm

Thank you very much Dave for the clarifications.
I like Pac Bay Minima and Fuji ECS too. Will work on how much I want to spend and then I will see which components are within the budget because Here in Portugal it's not easy to get components to build a rod.

One more time

Thank you very much

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:06 am

Anytime. If you decide what you want and can order the blank yourself, I would be happy to order it all the components for you then box them up and ship them to you for the cost of the shipping plus like $5 if you can't find an online store that will ship to Portugal. You will need to take some measurements of the blank to make sure the right sized tip top and seat are ordered.

Good luck with your search.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:32 am

I have two rods built on the Eternity2 blanks and really enjoy them. The ETEC72M and ETEC72MH. Fantastic blanks IMO and make great jig rods.

I haven't built on a k2 blank yet, but I've fished with them, and they're nice too.